Powder Keg

After the butler and Zayne leave, I begin to explore the mansion.
While the skeleton is suspicious, neither the Hunter's Watch nor my Evol can detect any Metaflux from it. Maybe it is just a quirky decoration...
I climb up the stairs. Above me is the collection room on the third floor. Through the door, I can hear two people talking.

"I've invited you to my home several times before... You only visit when I'm not feeling well... Dr. Zayne, I wonder if you see me as a patient or just a subject for observation." That sounds like Raymond.

"According to the Akso remote monitor, your vital sign data has improved. The equipment also determined your age to be far younger than what it actually is." I heard Zayne said.

"Aren't you curious about why I haven't died yet?"

"I'll admit I was for a time. However, it was nothing more than that."

The silence in the mansion almost amplifies every sound, making the conversation upstairs anything but pleasant. I'm hesitant about climbing up the steps. I'll wait for them to finish talking. I haven't even taken two steps when a bone-chilling laugh resounds, followed by a feeble coughing fit.

"...Your colleague praised you, saying there are things only the two of you can do. I'm very curious now." Raymond said."Xander Sciences will provide you with the best staff, the best lab... and even the best treatment. Dr. Zayne, what you perceive as the limit of your talent is just another beginning in your career."

"When you reach the finish line, I'll be right there cheering for you." He said.

Lost in thought, I lean on the window sill by the staircase, gazing at the chirping birds outside.The sound of footsteps brings me back to reality.I turn around to see Zayne going down the stairs.He doesn't look away. On the handrail, his hand has countless, faint scars.

"Listening in?" Zayne asked.

"...Not really. It seems like someone is trying to headhunt you." I said. "You're good at not giving into temptation."

"Zayne
Please don't put me on a pedestal. I'm just a normal doctor. I have no intention of straying from the path l've chosen."

Eavesdropping isn't exactly polite, especially when Zayne's personal matters are involved. I steer the conversation in a different direction.

"A normal doctor who won the Starcatcher Award and is the youngest person to receive the Linde Award? I promise l'll never be late to your appointments in the future."I make a gesture to show I'm swearing on my honor as a joke. Zayne reaches out to put my hand back at my side, but then an almost imperceptible ripple appears in the air—like someone plucked a chord. "It's Metaflux!"

The Resonance Trail leads straight to the collection room. I run up the last few steps, and the Hunter's Watch confirms my suspicions.Metaflux is gathering at an alarming speed behind the heavy door.The current situation forces me to kick down the door. Raymond is sprawled out on the carpet, unconscious.The lights flicker as I sense an invisible pressure weighing down on me. The Wanderer is on the move. "Zayne, get him out of here. I'll handle this!"

"How long will you be able to last?" Whoosh! An icicle flies toward the Wanderer that appeared. In the blink of an eye, Zayne is standing next to me. "Let's make this quick, shall we?"