Snow-Kissed Coffee

."So you're already in the Arctic? Did anyone go with you?" Tara asked me from the phone.

"Don't worry, I'm just going to relax at Snowcrest. I'll be back in a few days."

"Really? That's good... If you kept working so much, they'd need to install an anti-workaholic mechanism in the watch. Have fun in your vacation!"

"Yeah. I'll get some souvenirs for you."

end the call with Tara. Outside, the blizzard has stopped.The sky appears more vivid than in other places.The dazzling blue hues cascade past the snow-capped mountains.

Ladies and gentlemen, we regret to inform you that the next train to Snowcrest has been canceled. We apologize for the inconvenience...

We're currently in the middle of travel season.After hearing the announcement, the people on the platform drag their luggage back to the waiting room and grumble.After getting Dr. Noah's contact info from Zayne yesterday, I immediately scheduled a meeting for today.
Watching the time tick away on my phone, I approach the counter, unwilling to give up on my journey.

"Excuse me, are there other ways to get to Snowcrest besides taking the Boreas Express?" I asked.

"We still don't know if the train has been canceled because of the weather or for another reason. For your safety, please wait." Staff member said.

"One cheesecake and one croissant, please.Thank you." A familiar voice reaches my ears. Surprised, I turn around and spot Zayne at a café nearby..

"Zayne?!" His fingers pause over the glass display. Zayne looks at me, but he doesn't seem surprised.

"It's you" he said.

immediately regret calling out to him. I try to suppress my guilt and wave at him. I pretend it's just a normal day.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

"There's been a new development in Dr.Noah's research. He asked me to visit him a week ago." After answering my poor excuse of a question, Zayne's gaze shifts back to the freshly baked bread on the counter. "He's not as young as he used to be and can't always do things alone anymore. I help him whenever I'm not too busy with work. Would you like to eat something together?"

"Thanks. I'll... get a sandwich, then."

I watch the barista get the order "Sir, the two lattes you ordered are ready.
Here or to-go?"

As Zayne is about to pay, I beat him to it. "It's on me. Since we're both stuck at the station, why don't we keep each other..." I notice the two lattes on the counter and suddenly realize there's something off. "...Why did you get two lattes?"

He makes a soft "mmm" and takes one of the lattes from me. The hot steam shrouds the smile on his face. "Did I say we met by chance?"