Beyond expectations

There is only one flight from Linkon City to the Arctic. It departs in the morning and arrives in the evening local time once a day.Snowcrest, where Dr. Noah is, isn't that far from this train station. But because of how undeveloped the transportation system is in this vast, sparsely populated region, we can only take this particular train to go there.The display screen hanging overhead shows rows and rows of red delay notices. The number of people in the waiting room decreases.As we wait, my mind recalls the files Grandma left me.There must be secrets behind it that are connected to me. Maybe it can also explain that explosion.

"What are you thinking about?" Zayne's voice interrupts my drifting thoughts. I force a smile.

"I'm thinking about what's an Aether Core, and why it was fused with my heart. What if I'm a dangerous experiment that escaped from a secret lab? Maybe armed men in suits will suddenly appear to take me away in a few seconds." Zayne listens to my wild thoughts without interrupting me.  "...Well, a few seconds have passed. And nothing happened."

"Maybe you'll get your answers when we arrive in Snowcrest."Zayne gently comforts me, as if sensing my fear. "The Protocore energy in your heart has always been stable. It can form an invisible shield to protect your heart when you're attacked. You also haven't become as weak as other patients with Protocore Syndrome. In other words, it's a power made just for you."

"It was made just for me...?"

"You won't have to worry about it anytime soon. You'll live for a long time, long enough to find out the truth."

put my hand over my chest, trying to feel for anything weird with my heartbeat. Will the person who put the Aether Core in my heart want it back one day?

Ladies and gentlemen, we regret to inform you that the train to Snowcrest will be delayed until 11:30 A.M. tomorrow. We apologize for the inconvenience...

"Really, it will be that long?" I asked.

"l'm not surprised. We'll have to spend the night in a hotel near the station." Zayne said.

A group of fully geared hunters rushes past us.The Evol railguns in their hands are glowing blue. They're clearly charged. To be armed and... Is the delay caused by Wanderers? The passengers pick up their luggage and follow the very apologetic staff to a nearby hotel.

I stay on the bench. Zayne wants to get up, but stops after glancing at me. "Are we not leaving?"

"Those hunters are on a mission. They must have a way to get to wherever they need to go no matter how bad the weather is..." An idea pops into my mind. I grab Zayne by the arm and chase after them. "Let's help out!"

We ran as we went to fight some wanderers.