Unconventional Advice

Once everything's done, Jeremiah leaves the greenhouse to begin his "deception."The breaking dawn meets the chirping of birds as they reverberate atop the greenhouse. I turn my head to look at Xavier.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"You bringing me here wasn't a spur-of-the-moment decision. You knew for a while that l'd be going to the N109 Zone. You already had a plan to help me sneak in, right?" He gave me a hum "How did you meet a friend who knows how to make fake identities? He's also very cooperative... And since he helped me, that means he could've helped you."

It's funny how the more a person talks about something, the more real it seems. An idea starts to form in the back of my mind. I stare at him, searching for clues from his expression.

"I'm just a normal Deepspace Hunter."

"Just a hunter?"walk up to Xavier and take the small spray bottle from his hand. I hold it up to his forehead like I'm aiming a gun at point-blank range. "I know we aren't exactly close, but can you repeat what you just said? You're not looking me in the eye."

"You're too close." He gently touches my forehead to push me "Also, you're... not scary. At least, not scary enough."

"What do you mean?"

"You're being very polite. You won't be able to take control of the situation.Anyone who's made a name for themselves in the N109 Zone can't be a pushover."He gets up from his chair. I find myself stepping back and leaning against the edge of the table. "As the next leader of a crime syndicate, you should at least act tough. Don't let anyone easily spot your weaknesses. Otherwise, you might end up as a lamb at an auction swarming with wolves. You'll be killed in the blink of an eye." sharp blade of grass pokes my chin. "The arrogant ones always like to look down on people."

I can't help but chuckle. I lift my head in response. "And?"

"Your shoulders are stiff. Being too awkward will only make you look suspicious. Relax. But try to maintain a façade of arrogance."

"Got it. Anything else?"

"Don't say thank you. And don't apologize. The last thing you want is hesitation or doubt in your voice. Remember, you're always right."

"What if someone tries to challenge me? Or what if they doubt me?"

"Return the favour"

"Like this?"I push Xavier's shoulder, but he only takes a step back.I move closer, maintaining eye contact—with my chin. "By the way, my neck is starting to hurt because of how you're standing. Can you adjust your position?"

"Are you mixing personal feelings with business?"

"Of course not. As you said, whatever I do is correct."

"All right" Xavier sits back down, but he tightly grips my wrist and pulls. I'm in front of him. "One more thing. It's very important. Don't provoke people who have yet to show their hand."

The atmosphere becomes heavy, my gut telling me that l'm in danger. Yet the only thing I can do is look into his eyes.He's seated, yet at this moment, the person standing isn't necessarily the one who has the upper hand.

"I'm done. Do you think this is enough?" Jeremiah walks in. His gaze sweeps over us, not even lingering for a second. Then he quickly turns around and leaves. "Whoops, sorry. I entered the wrong room."

"Come back."