Chapter 40

Jade POV

As Harry finally parks the car outside the hospital, I didn't hesitate to step out and run towards the nurse station near the door. I'm really worried about Cam.

"Where is Cameron Dallas' room, please?" I said, trying to catch my breath.

"He's in room 309, Miss. 2nd floor." The nurse said and with that, I decided to take the stairs because the line for the elevator is way too long. I already saw Harry and Kate behind me, also running. As soon as I arrived at the second floor, I checked the ceiling to hopefully find Room 309.

305, 306, 307, 308...

"This is it." I sighed heavily. 

"Jade, calm down. He's going to be okay." Kate said as she rubs my back.

"I'm worried, okay? This shit is just so unexpected." 

"Kate's right, Jade. You should calm down." Harry said. I didn't notice that I haven't talked to Harry since we drove here and I felt bad for it. I just gave him a forced smile and nod. 

I turn the knob and there I saw Cameron lying in the hospital bed, with bruises all over his face and a bandage wrapped around his left shoulder and on his head. Tears started to stream down as I hold on my sobs. Cam is a great friend of mine, so far. He never left me and he always treat me good and this shit is just so unexpected to happen. He's a good guy and he doesn't deserve this.

"Oh, Cam." I said, as I sat next to him, examining his bruises. He's unconscious and I really feel bad for him. 

"Can you tell me the whole story, Kate, please? I don't how all this shit happened." I said, burying my face in my hands.

"I was cleaning the gallery when suddenly I received a call from Cam. I was shocked because it was really rare for Cam to call me when I'm in work. When I answered the call, it wasn't Cam. It was from a nurse, saying that Cam was shot by an addict and his head was badly hurt because the addicts we're punching non-stop until a stranger helped Cam who was unconsciously lying on the floor and the stranger took Cam in the hospital." Kate said. I know that she's trying not to cry, too. Cam is our only guy friend when Harry wasn't here. "But, don't worry. The police already caught them." She added.

"He doesn't deserve this." I mumble under my breath.

"We all know he doesn't deserve this. The nurse tried to call his Aunt but his Aunt is having a vacation in Ohio but they already talked to her and she'll be here the day after tomorrow." Kate said, giving me a small smile. 

I watched how Harry shifted uncomfortably on the small sofa. I sat beside him and nudge his arm.

"Hey." 

"Hey. You okay?" He said.

"I don't know. I feel bad for Cam." I sighed.

"He's badly bruised, I see. Let's just hope for him to get better sooner." He said, giving me a small smile. 

Small smiles. In situations like these, you rarely see people smiling but I know that Kate and Harry are just trying to cheer me up but I can't cheer up when Cameron is lying unconsciously because of some fucking addicts.

"We better head home, Jade. You should, at least, take a rest."

"No, I'll stay here with Cam. You two can head home. His Aunt isn't here to take care of him and I'm his friend." I really mean it. I don't have work tomorrow anyway until Monday. 

"The nurses are here to take care of him. He'll be okay."

"No, Harry. You don't understand. Cam's a great friend of mine. He was there when I needed him and this time, he needs my help and I should offer my time to him. Please?"