43

Harry's POV

In the car on the way to the hospital, I am sat in the back with Riley leaning into my side. Buddy is in the floor by her legs with his head resting on her leg for comfort. I have an arm around her to show her comfort as well. Her eyes are closed as she tries to work on her breathing. I can tell that she is in pain. Josh is driving and Tobi is riding shotgun.

Riley starts breathing harder. She starts wheezing and hunches over more against me. She takes the inhaler in her hand and uses it again.

"Are you okay, Riley?" Tobi asks as he turns to look back. A very concerned look is plastered to his face.

"I'm going to be honest, I'm really struggling," she whispers out. A pang runs through my body as she honestly tells us how bad this is for her. I just want to do something for her, but there is nothing that I can do. I run my fingers through her hair and leave a kiss on her forehead.

The car pulls up to the hospital and Josh quickly parks the car. Josh rushes into the hospital to notify them of our arrival while Tobi helps me get Riley into the wheelchair and then into the building. When we enter the waiting room, a nurse ushers us all into a room off to the side.

The nurse starts recording vitals and questioning us and Riley. She starts with heart rate and puts a device onto her finger.

"So What has been happening?" The nurse starts.

"I started having a coughing fit that wouldn't stop. It was difficult to breathe. It only stopped once I used my inhaler. Since then they have started up again, but this time it's less coughing and more struggling to get air through. My chest feels extremely tight all of the time now," Riley explains the situation.

The nurse nods and moves on to temperature and then asks if she can stand to be weighed and see how tall she is. Riley agrees and has Josh help her stand and offer her support as she continues to stand. The other five arrive and are escorted into the room by another nurse and a doctor.

The doctor is a guy about Josh and Simon's age. He has dark brown hair and a kind looking face. As soon as he sees Riley, a smile breaks out over his face. Riley notices him and she smiles back. He walks over to her and pulls her into a hug. Everyone looks between each other with confusing glances.

"God, it's been ages! So these are your boys?" The doctor says as he pulls away from Riley and helps her back into her wheelchair. The nurses leave after handing the doctor the recorded vitals and close the door as they leave.

"Yup. I guess I should explain. This is Dr. Elis. We lived in the same city in America and we were really close. I've been in contact with him daily ever since I knew I would be moving here because I knew that he had moved her years prior. He knows about our relationship because I wanted him to be legally able to tell you guys all of my medical history and conditions. Plus I trust him with my life," Riley explains as she realizes the confusion on our faces. Makes sense.

The examination room that we are in is fairly large and has the perfect number of chairs for each of us to sit. We all find our seats as Dr. Elis starts looking over the paperwork on her vitals.

"You're not going to like this, Riley. I was talking to your previous doctor and he explained to me that if you were to drop any more weight that I would need to discuss options on how to stop the loss and encourage gain," Dr. Elis explains, turning to business. He gives her an upset look. Riley looks down at her hands in her lap. Buddy stands up from the floor and places his head on her hands as he can sense her nerves.

"I know what that means," Riley says quietly as she looks up at him. A coughing fit starts again and the doctor jumps up and listens to her chest with his stethoscope.

"Go ahead and use your inhaler," the doctor instructs as he continues to listen. The fit stops shortly after. "My initial guess is that you are having a reoccurring allergic reaction to something, but I want to be 100% sure especially with all of the other medical concerns you have. I'd like to run blood tests and hold you overnight for observation. In that time we can discuss the options for weight," Dr. Elis relays his preference. Riley nods along but immediately stiffens at the mention of blood tests.

"Hey, calm down. You are going to be perfectly fine. We are going to be there for you," Josh comforts her at the remembrance of her fear of needles.

"Let's go get you up into a room and on some pain medication," Dr. Elis suggests and stands to lead the way out of the room.

Once we get to the room, the doctor pulls Josh out into the hallway while the rest of us help get Riley settles before the nurses show up. JJ helps her move from the wheelchair to the bed. I take the vest off of Buddy as Riley has requested me to. The dog jumps up on the bed and starts his job of comforting.

Simon is trying to entertain Elouise by looking out the window with her. He points things out to her as she sleepily lays her head on his shoulder. The others are sat on the couch and chairs about the room and making small talk.

I sit on the edge of the bed and place an arm around Riley's shoulders. She leans into my body. I squeeze her shoulder lovingly and kiss her forehead as I can sense her nervousness.

"Everything is going to be okay, just relax," I sooth her. Her lead leans into my shoulder as her eyes close. A deep breathe is taken in and out as pain flashes over her features. It's extremely difficult to just sit here and see her in pain and not be able to do something about it.

"Alright, so we are going to get you going on some pain medication that will be given through oxygen and inhaled. It will make you very out of it and somewhat childlike. While having the effects, your memory will be short, you will probably find ridiculous things funny, and you won't be able to think things through fully. I already told Josh this, but someone will need to be in here with you at all times because you won't have the instincts of things that are sharp can hurt you and red things are hot. You should be so out of it that we will be able to take blood tests and insert an IV without you freaking out and ultimately going into an attack," Dr. Elis explains as he directly addresses Riley.

Riley just nods and relaxes slightly. The doctor leaves the room and comes in shortly after with an oxygen tank and various other medical supplies.

It's been a busy week. I signed to a college color guard today which was fun. I have 7 more days of school and I'm hating the fact that I have such limited time with these people that I've known my whole life. Until next time, Ilya, bye!!