44

Simon's POV

I feel my phone buzz within my pocket as the doctors and nurses leave the room after getting Riley situated with oxygen and applying a medication. I pull out my phone and find a text from my mum.

From: Mum

We are on our way up in the elevator

"You ready to go stay with Nan and Grandad for a couple days?" I ask Elouise as I shift her on my hip.

"No, I don't want to go!" The girl whines. Her arms enclose around my neck. Her grip is tight without cutting off my air flow. I can hear her small whines of protest. Josh notices my struggle with the girl and approaches us.

"Hey, how about when you come back, we go out and get some sweets and ice cream. Only if you go with Nan and Grandad," Josh negotiates. He sweeps some hair behind her ear. Elouise stays quiet as she mulls over the offer in her head. A small smile appears on her lips and she nods as someone knocks softly on the door.

Ethan stands and opens the door to reveal my mum and dad. They shuffle into the room and Ethan closes the door behind them. They start greeting all of the boys. My dad shakes their hands firmly and my mum gives each of them a hug.

"We don't want to be too much of a bother, so we aren't going to stay for long," mum states as she reaches me and kisses my cheek. She takes Elouise into her arms and my dad collects the backpack sling over my shoulder.

"We can properly chat and catch up when we drop the little one back off," dad suggests. Just as fast as they had appeared, they left with El.

"That was quick," Tobi chuckles to break the silence. A giggling causes all of our attention to be cast upon Riley and Harry.

Harry is sat on a chair directly beside Riley's bed. Riley has his hand in both of hers and is playing with his fingers. The plastic tube that is supplying her with the medication and oxygen is looped under her nose and over her ears. A lazy smile draws at her lips. Her eyelids drop slightly. The meds are working.

"What's so funny?" I question as I sit in a chair beside Harry. I place an arm around him and smile at the girl. Her eyes shift to me and a hand leaves Harry's to pat my cheek. I chuckle at the unexpected motion.

"I guess we can discuss what the doctor was telling me in the hallway now that the medication is taking affect. The hospital is allowing two of us to stay with her overnight and those two will sleep on the couch that pulls out to be a bed. Any minute now they should be coming back in to take the tests and get her hooked up to an IV because she is pretty dehydrated. They are going to talk to us about the weigh control options before they address it with her so that we can be supportive of her decision and possible steer her in a better direction of the options," Josh explains as we all listen intently except for Riley.

JJ has set up her laptop, that we originally brought for her medical documents, with YouTube pulled up. She was watching the screen intently as it sits on a tray that can be pulled over the bed. She has earbuds in and is still subconsciously messing with Harry's fingers.

"Did he tell you anything about what the options would be?" JJ asks from a chair on the opposite side of the bed.

"No, not yet," Josh replies. Vikk opens his mouth to say something, but knocking on the door interrupts him. The doctor followed by two nurses enter the room.

One nurse is trailing an IV pole and a tray of equipment. She goes to the opposite side of the bed and starts working on Riley's arm. The other nurse has a tray of equipment that has a few glass tubes on it. She starts working on her other arm as well. Her eyes stayed fixated on the screen as if unfazed by the two women at her arms. My focus is drawn to Dr. Elis as he begins speaking.

"While she is distracted, we can talk about the weight control options. The first one is a more permanent option, a feeding tube. It's like a port that will be implanted through the skin of the abdomen and straight into the stomach. It will have a line that has to be cleaned daily and the port will need to be replaced weekly. You will be able to do that at home. She will still be able to eat normally, but her calories will need to be recorded with either decision that is made. The second option is a nasogastric feeding tube that goes in through the nose and down into the stomach. This one can be removed or stay inside all the time. Daily cleaning is a must. This one is noticeable while the other is discreet. They both have pumps that will feed the calorie formula through the line. I'm sure you guys will have questions, so feel free to ask them," he finishes and awaits for our questions.

"So depending on how much she eats, that reflects in how much formula she will get?" I ask. I want to make sure that I know everything that I possibly can.

"Yes. The more she eats, the less formula for that meal time or day depending on what kind of schedule you choose," the doctor explains.

"If she ever gains weight enough to not need it anymore, will she be able to have the more permanent one removed?" Josh questions.

"I highly doubt that she will ever get to the point of not needing it because her metabolism is so high that unless something drastic happens, it will take a very long time for it to settle down. She can't take medication to slow her metabolism because it conflicts with some of her more necessary medications. But if she ever did, there could be a different kind of port that could be inserted that would act as a plug that could also be taken out at any time," he elaborates.

The nurses have finished their work on Riley's arms and they leave. She now has a line feeding liquid into her arm and body. Her other arm has a dressing around it where they drew the blood from. She looks rather pale from, most likely, the tests.

"I need to go check up on some other patients, but I will be back later on in the day to answer more questions and check up on her. I'm going to shut off her oxygen and pain killers so we can reassess her when I get back. If something concerns you, just call for a nurse by using the call button. She can get out of the bed as long as she is supported by someone," the doctor excuses himself and leaves us to ourselves after turning off the oxygen and removing the tube from her face.

Disclaimer: I don't know a lot about medical stuff. Just bare with me. I'm trying to educate myself along the way. This was not edited so sorry for any mistakes. Until next time, Ilya, bye!!