The Best Time And Accuracy Wins

The next chapter is here. I hope you enjoy it.

The Best Time And Accuracy Wins

Rosies POV

The next morning I am at the stables preparing my horse for the competition. I am currently brushing my horse in her stall. This competition takes place at the barn were I train at so there was no need for travailing with the horse. I am already in my riding boots and outfit. I also have all ready walked the course without my horse like all the other competitors have done. The riders need to walk the course and know the order of the jumps so they can direct their horse better.

When I am done brushing my horse I put the brush away. Then I grab the horses saddle, bridle, and saddle blanket. I start by putting the saddle blanket on my horse. This protects the saddle from hurting my horses back. Then I put the bridle on my horse. The bridle also includes the reins that are used to direct the horse around the arena. Finally I put on the horses saddle. This is a special saddle that my mom gave me for a birthday present this year. She used her saddle from when she competed back when she was in high school and had it re done to make it look new.

Then I got up on my horse and rode it over to the competition area. The competition arena was another building still on the stable grounds. It was not the same arena that I practiced in yesterday. A few other people from my school that I know from my 4H club are also in this competition. This is the first senior level competition for them as well.

I am competitor number 21 out of 30 for the qualification round. Only the top 15 will be able to compete in the finals. For todays competition their is only one run through. Today's results do not combine with tomorrows so the score will reset after today. Tomorrows competition has two rounds. The score for both rounds will be combined for tomorrows result.

I am standing with my horse on one side of the arena and the bleachers are on the other side. I spot my parents, siblings, and my cousin in the audience. My aunt Melissa and uncle Wren are out of town for the weekend so Bella is staying with us again. Her parents still do not have full trust in her after they left her alone a few months ago. After Bella had gotten out of rehab my parents were like her babysitter when her parents could not watch her. Bella really likes horses because a few summers ago she went to riding camp with me. We had a lot of fun together.

The competition is about to start. The judges names are being announced as well as how the scoring will work. This event is a timed event and the fastest time will win. Accuracy counts so for each rail that fails off of a jump their is a 2 point penalty. Also if a horse refuses a jump their will be a 5 point penalty. If a rider falls off their horse their is a 10 point penalty and the rider may also face disqualification. The point penalty is added on to the riders time at the end and converted into seconds to calculate the final score. Also remember that only the top 15 out of 30 riders will move on to tomorrows finals. The top 15 riders from this stable will compete here tomorrow along with the top 15 riders from another stable that will compete here tomorrow as well.

I watch the competition until it is almost my turn to ride. I get up on my horse while there are still a few more riders to go. I am nervous but I have to shake it off. The horses are smart and if you tense up they will tense up as well which will cause you not to do as well. Before I go in the arena I look at the audience in the bleachers. I see my family smiling and waiving at me so I smile and wave back at them. You need a support system for this kind of competition because it calms your nerves. I hear my number and name being called as well as my horses name Sophie. I named her Sophie after me. I really like my middle name and it is also my nick name.

As I rode across the starting line and was approaching the first jump all I could think about was doing my best. For me it was not about winning or being the best My job was to do my best and have fun. Hopefully I would do good enough to advance to the next round. As I crossed the finish line after a short time out on the course I could her the crowd cheering. I could hear my family chanting Rosie. I had some faults for knocking down some rails but overall I had did a good job. It was not my best job or time because I had done better before in the junior competitions.

After my turn I was currently in 3rd place. Their were still 9 riders to go meaning that the worst I could now get was 12 place but that meant that I was defiantly moving on. After the last 9 riders had gone I had fallen down to 7th place. That was still pretty good though considering that there were 30 competitors in this competition. The important thing was that I was moving on to the finals tomorrow. After the competition was over I put my horse back into her stall. I was awarded a ribbon for seventh place in the qualifying round. I went home with my family and had a good rest of the day.

The next day I arrive back at the stables. I start the process of getting my horse ready again. When she is all ready I take my horse to the same arena that the competition was yesterday. The same process begins again with the judges explaining how the scoring works. Today I was competitor number 27. Hopefully 27 will be a lucky number for me after all I was born on the 27th of the month. I saw my family smiling and waving at me so I smiled and waved back.

When It was my turn I went out there and did my thing. This time I only knocked down one bar and got a two second penalty. After my turn in the first round I was in 4th place. There were only 3 competitors left to go so the worst I could get in the first round was 7th place. I was not going to do any worse then yesterday. Actually I would do better because these 30 competitors were going to be harder to beat. After the first round was over I had managed to only drop to 5th place.

There was a short break before the second round began. We would be competing in the same order as the first round. When it was finally my turn I went out there and did my best. This time I had no time penalties at all. After my turn I was currently in 1st place meaning that I actually had a chance at winning or at least being in the top 3. After the last 3 competitors went I had dropped a little bit on the scoreboard. I still managed to get 3rd place which was really good my first time competing at this level.

Then their was an award ceremony. My name was called and I was handed a 3rd place trophy and my horse received a 3rd place ribbon. After the rest of the awards were given out I put my horse back into my stall and said goodbye to her. Then I found my family and they congratulated me. We had a big family hug. Instead of going home they surprised me by taking me out to a really nice dinner. After that we went home. I was really happy and surprised at how well I had done this weekend.

Please review or pm me with your story ideas, thought, questions, or anything else you would like to know. The next chapter will be up as soon as I write it.