History Repeating Itself

She nearly fell backwards into the snow as the bright red light blinded her. But she was stopped by the feeling of a gun's barrel into the back of her head. Tiny sparkles flew from the red lightsaber and melted the snow on Ree's cloak. Her terrified face was lit up by the lightsaber. "No," was all she managed to get out. She had refused to get on that Destroyer to avoid this happening, instead, she was a mouse caught in the trap.

"Miss me?" Kylo asked through his mask. The red light managed to make the mask look even more menacing and the red crackles going through it where it had been repaired shone even more brightly. He put the lightsaber against her throat. And even though Ree couldn't see his face, she knew that he had a wide grin.

"Zorii?" The mouse asked, trying to hold back her tears. She wondered where her guide had gone. She couldn't look back without getting her throat sliced open, had the stormtroopers just arrested her or done something worse?

"Yes?" She answered and Ree felt the gun being pushed harder into the back of her head. Disappointment clouded her face along with a few quiet tears that trickled down her cheek, nothing sucked as much as betrayal, "why?"

"Once a piece of shit, always a piece of shit." Zorii's words dripped with venom.

"Poe won't forgive you for this."

"He knows these streets. What has to be done to survive."

"The pilot?" Kylo asked, "You're on a first-name basis?

"Not exactly," Ree sighed, "but we don't try to kill each other anymore." She tried to focus her gaze past the Supreme Leader, staring directly into the black void of his mask was too unnerving for her to handle.

"You disgust me," Ky scoffed at how soft the former Commander had gone.

"Says the man in a mask," she pointed out.

"One you can't even dare to look at," he smirked under it while she continued to look past it.

"Where's my money?" Zorii grabbed the focus, "there was a bounty on her."

"You'll get it," Kylo assured, "now, scutter." The feeling of the gun pressed against Ree's head disappeared but the imminent threat in front of her still remained. She heard how Zorii's steps became more distant and they soon disappeared. So, she took her shot.

Ree started running down the alleyway, as fast as her legs could carry her. Kylo Ren had no rush. A cat playing with his prey, knowing that in the end, he would win.

The alleway never seemed to end but she ended up in the three way crossing from before. She stopped in the middle turning her head left and right, trying to decide which way to go. The former Head technician seemed to have not learned from her previous mistakes. Once again, her indecisiveness would be her downfall. Her muscles froze mid air. She couldn't move an inch, only breathe and move her eyes. Kylo Ren had caught up with her.

His footsteps in the snow, the creaking, got closer and panic rose inside of Ree as the footsteps got closer. Her breaths were heavy, her bulging stomach didn't make escaping any easier, the adrenaline was flowing through her veins lika a wild river. He was now so close that he could hear his calm breaths through the respirator. This was it, she thought, I let you down.

Soon, he came into her peripheral vision, standing right in front of her. There was no emotion to be read from his body language and, of course, none from the mask. But she could see through him, the smug satisifed smile on his lips. Her look was that of a gazelle who had just been running for it's life, trying to outrun the lion, with no luck. Now, it was standing eye to eye with its predator. Moments away from death. "It's funny," Kylo chuckled, "why does this feel so familiar?" The lion was the last thing the gazelle saw before its whole world turned black.