Katharsis

Getting revenge on her assaulter had straightened her back as she headed back to ger shared accommodation to meet Tylan. What she didn't expect was to find Tylan crouched down next to the door to their living quarters, crying.

"Tylan?" Ree asked worriedly making him bounce up and back away. "Are you okay?" There was no obvious reason for his sadness, missing lunch perhaps but that seemed a bit overdramatic to Ree.

"Get away from me!" Tylan shrieked and put his hands out in front of him. When Ree tried to near him he backed away. "Don't come closer!"

"What's going on Tylan?" Her brows knitted together.

"I saw what you did!" Tylan sounded sad and angry. Tears had stained his dark cheeks and his brown eyes were red from crying.

"I don't know what you're talking about!" Ree believed Tylan was making no sense which made her frantic.

"Back in the cafeteria when you killed that man!" Tylan cried back at her. The old Ree wouldn't kill someone in cold blood.

"He was the one that attacked us back in the hallway, he had it coming!" Ree argued, she couldn't believe that Tylan thought this was a big thing.

"You're a killer, Ree!" Ree tried to near Tylan but he once again jumped back. Her jaw had dropped at Tylan's harsh words. At first, Ree felt hurt and sorrow but as Snoke had taught her, she turned it into anger.

"If killing the man who hurt us, to protect us from any more harm, is what you have to do to be called a killer. Then yes, yes I'm a killer!" Ree spat out. Tylan noticed something behind Ree's blue orbs, something dark and wild that hadn't been there before.  Tylan's head dropped.

"Go and never come back!" Tylan's words didn't contain that much threat to them but they dripped with hurt and disappointment.

"Tylan, don't do this." Ree tried talking in a calmer tone, repressing the fact that she was boiling on the inside.

"It's your fault." Tylan shook his head, in an instant he had aged from an enthusiastic 12-year old boy to a wise old man. Ree took one last look at her former apprentice before turning around and walking back to her own quarters. Which she now had to spend her nights in. Tylan watched his former mentor, the one person he considered his only and best friend, disappear into the dark hallway.

---

Ree sat down on her bed and buried her face in her hands. At first, there came no tears, only snivels as she realised what she had done. "Why Ree? Why?" She talked to herself. How could this go so completely wrong, Ree thought. She only wanted to protect Tylan and instead, she winded up losing him, her only friend on Starkiller base. When she realised that she would now be truly alone, all the tears came. They streamed down her face.

After hours and hours of crying, snivelling and screaming she laid down on her bed, exhausted. One last tear escaped her before she drifted off to a dreamless sleep.

---

When Ree got to the training area she was surprised to see Kylo with the mask on. Last time it seemed that they had made progress and that he would stop using it when it was just him and Ree. "Back to the mask are we, sir?" Ree asked a bit playfully, maybe he just forgot to take it off, she thought.

"Hmpf." A grunt was all Ree got in return. That man changes mood more frequently than I change clothes, she thought.

"Okay..." Ree suspected that something had happened to him but not wanting to press him any further she grabbed one of the batons from the wall, as did Kylo. Without any warning, Kylo lunched forward taking Ree by surprise but in the last second, she managed to block his attack.