The Storm

"LFN-483, you stand accused of breaking into my personal living quarters, stealing food and clothes and then evading arrest on foot," Hux's voice boomed as he looked out over the crowd, not noticing Ree standing right in front of the stage with a horrified look. "The punishment for theft is 10 lashes, running away, 20 lashes. And breaking into a General's residence, 30 lashes." 60 lashes,  there's no way Tylan could survive that, he's only 12, Ree thought. Even though he hates me, I have to do something, Ree decided before raising her voice.

"This isn't right!" Everyone's eyes turned towards the loud female.

"Keelor, You seem to be giving me a great deal of trouble today," Hux snarled, keeping his snobby nose upturned.

"You can't do that to him! He's only 12!" Ree ignored Hux's remark and pleaded her case instead.

"And why do you care?" Hux asked. Ree's gaze was not fixed on the furious General in front of her but at the angry Tylan behind him. The very precense of Ree made his jaw tense and nostrils flare.

"That's none of your business!" Ree spat.

"You can't do anything about it anyway. He's a criminal who must be punished." Hux turned his attention back to the boy, "where were we? Ah yes, chain him," Hux ordered and the stormtroopers started taking up the chains that hung from two poles.

"No stop!" Ree shrieked making the stormtroopers pause. The Commander's mind went wild, trying to think of a solution. Then it hit her, "he's a minor!"

"And your point?" Hux cocked a brow.

"It's in the rule book! 'If an adolescent..." Ree trailed off as she couldn't remember the entire phrase, "Shit!" Ree exclaimed to herself.

"If you don't have anything useful to say then continue, chain him to the poles," Hux ordered and the stormtroopers picked up the shackles that would soon be placed around Tylan's skinny wrists.

"If...If..." Ree mumbled, trying to remember what she had read in that rule book she read when she started working for the First Order eight years ago. Like a gift from above, she remembered, "if an adolescent commits a crime a person who has reached the age of majority may take the punishment instead of the adolescent." A murmur surged through the crowd.

"Can she do this?" Someone asked. "Why would she do that?" Another one whispered. "Has anyone actually read the rule book?" A third one questioned.

"If you wish to step in for this minor and accept the punishment of 60 lashes I will not stop you." Ree could see how Hux was holding back a smile, just thinking about causing pain to Ree made him delighted.

"Then I wish to take the punishment," Keelor swallowed a big lump of nervousness. She had seen these beatings before, they were horrifying, blood went everywhere, the screams never stopped and the iron smell of blood invaded the nose. With nervous steps, she walked up the few steps that lead up to the stage.

Up on the stage, Hux gave her a satisfied look, showing that he would enjoy every second of this. The stormtroopers hadn't yet chained Tylan. She bolted towards him, sinking down on her knees in front of him.

"I know you hate me for what I've done but please-" Tylan cut her off

"Thank you." Tylan threw his arms around Ree's neck and she knew that the pain that was coming would be worth it. No matter how bad it would be she could be happy because Tylan would be safe.

"Now, go! Be safe and never do anything like this again!" Ree ordered and he nodded anxiously before running off. With all her strength Ree fought back the tears, she couldn't let the General see her cry, that would only make that irritating smirk on his lips wider.