Fool Me Once

Her surroundings were a grey blur, there was no difference from the floor or the walls, everything was the same. The Commander was stumbling around The Supremacy barefoot. Tears were still streaming down her cheeks, her wet hair getting caught in her face. She continued walking, she only had one thought on her mind, I need to get out of here.

As she got into a huge room her surroundings got the tiniest clear. Clear enough for her to distinguish one small grey mass from the rest. In front of her was a Command Shuttle, her way out, away from Kylo, the scavenger, the Force, everything. She didn't want any part in it anymore.

The entry-ramp had been lowered, it was just for the Commander to stumble right in. Keelor plopped down in the pilot's seat. It couldn't be that hard, she thought. In front of her were several colourful blurs, blues, oranges, reds. She had been the Head technician, sure she could get this thing to fly. Ree started pressing buttons left and right, first a blue one then a red one, hoping that any button would be the right one, "I would stop doing that if you don't want to blow us to pieces." A male voice behind her made Ree snap up from the chair and reach for her lightsaber, which was back in Kylo's chamber...

"W-who's there?" Ree tried to blink away the tears to make her sight focus at the unfamiliar mass in front of her.

"General Hux, Commander." He looked at her like she was crazy, with all fairness, she did look mad. When the blur in front of her was revealed Ree tried even harder to blink the tears away, not wanting to look dumb in front of the General.

Eventually, her sight cleared up enough to distinguish his red hair from his face, "oh, General. I-I didn't realize it was you." She tried to sound like she hadn't just cried her heart out.

"Who did you think it was?" He was confused, to him it looked like she was making a getaway, a deserter. "You know, I could report you for desertion." Ree tried to read him, would he do it? Probably.

"Will you? Report me?" She tried to look brave but the tears on her face told Hux otherwise. He crossed his arms, looking the Commander up and down but it wasn't with a face of disgust but with a face of empathy? An emotion Ree thought Hux was incapable of feeling but there he was with his red hair looking at the blonde woman in front of her who seemed like she had been crying for days.

"No," a wave of relief passed through Keelor, "you... you seem... troubled." He picked his words carefully. There was no way of hiding it, for the first time, Ree was going to be genuine with Hux.

"Yes, you could say that." She laughed at both how uncomfortable Hux sounded and at her own state as she saw it from a third-party perspective. There she stood, Commander Keelor, barefoot, in a Command shuttle, rivers of tears down her cheeks with the General of the First Order in front of her.

"Where is Ren?" Everyone knew about their love so there was no point acting like it didn't exist.

"In the outer Rims if I were to choose."

"Oh, I understand," Hux answered, "I sometimes wish that too." There was a pull at the right corner of his lip.

"Sometimes?" Rey cocked her eyebrow, not believing that for a second.

"Fine, most times." he corrected, still she didn't lower that eyebrow, "all right, always." They both chuckled at the exchange. When the laughter died down, Her expression had changed into a more troubled one.

"I suppose you wish that of me too?" She sighed and looked down at her feet, knowing that this was the only time she and Hux could ever be civil.

"For a start, yes," he admitted. Ree wasn't surprised she wished that of him in the beginning too, "now, I'm not so sure." And that was exactly how she would finish her own thoughts about him. She didn't look up at him but instead kept glaring into the ground making Hux look down too, noticing her bare feet for the first time since he entered the Command Shuttle. "You must be cold. It's five degrees in the Landing Bay and you're barefoot and without a jacket." His comment made Ree actually noticed how cold it was there, it wasn't surprising though since one of the walls was just a void connected to space.