Carpe Noctem

The room was cold, steel walls and steel floor. Not much bigger than the quarters Ree shared with Tylan and two more. They had told Ree that this room was only contemporary. That she'd get a bigger one when she started moving up the ranks. There was a bed, a drawer, a mirror and a desk with a chair. The bed took up a big part of the room and the desk was placed right behind it. She sat down on the white linen of her single bed. staring right into the mirror over the black drawer.

Looking back at her was a young woman, with a blonde messy long bob, distressed blue-grey eyes and a disgusting hickey forming on her broad shoulders, right where that creep had planted his lips. She couldn't bear looking at the mark so she started looking through the drawer for something to use to cover it up. Soon she found a black cardigan and some sleepwear, she changed from her technician overall into what she had just found. Ree put the technician overall at the back of the drawer guessing that she wouldn't need it anymore.

It was getting late, she had gotten instructions that she was expected in the training area at 6:00 AM sharp. She crept down under her duvet and closed her eyes, trying to fall asleep but kept changing position. All her thoughts kept her awake. Tylan occupied most of her thoughts. How was he doing, the former Head technician wondered. After turning and thinking she got up out of bed. The cold air of the corridor made her wrap the cardigan around her tightly. Then she started walking. Her destination? Tylan.

---

It had taken Ree nearly forty minutes for her to walk all the way from her new residence back to her old one. The password was still the same so she typed in the code and when the light went green she manually opened the door carefully, not wanting to wake anybody up. To her left was a bunk bed where her old roommates were sleeping. She never got to know them, she only knew one of them was a stormtrooper and the other one worked in the cafeteria. To her right on the bunk bed closest to the floor was Tylan, sleeping.

"Hi there," Keelor whispered and sat down at the edge of the bed.

"Ree?" He asked, still half asleep. "What are you doing here?"

"I was homesick. Care to make some room for me?" She asked while smiling, Tylan scooted closer to the wall and she laid down next to him. He offered her some of the covers which she gladly accepted. Tylan went back to sleep immediately and Ree followed shortly.

---

The blonde woke up to the sound of someone moving, it was one of the roommates. She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and sat up in the bed, careful not to awaken Tylan or the other roommate.

"What time is it?" Ree asked, still groggy.

"5:30," the roommate answered and suddenly she was wide-awake.

"Shit!" She exclaimed and quickly ran out of the room. Her feet hurt as they collided with the cold steel floor, cardio had never been her thing, she preferred lifting weights and she clearly noticed. She breathed heavily as she switched between running and walking fast.

Eventually, she reached her room, out of breath and sweaty. She looked at the clock on her desk, 5:55. It was impossible to get there in time she needed to change out of her sleepwear and then get to the training area. Ree looked through her drawers, trying to find something that would be fitting. The final outfit consisted of a black jacket that went up all the way to her neck with a short turtleneck and bore the first order emblem on her left arm, black trousers in the same practical and breathable fabric as the jacket and to that a pair of black boots that went up to just under her knees. The blonde didn't have time to brush her hair so she put it up in a bun.