Epilogue

Two months later

The screams rang in Ree's ears as she pushed. Hot tears trickled down, mixing with beads of sweat. She didn't think it would be the final push as she tried for the 20th time, but then, it happened and another scream filled her ears. The screams of her newborn baby daughter.

The sticky bloody baby laid on the cloth Ree had put under her. She ignited her lightsaber, using the white blade to cut off the umbilical cord. Picking up that kicking bundle of life, getting her arms all sticky with placenta was the most wonderful feeling. The only thing that could have made it better was if he was there, holding her hand, helping her through it. Instead, the only comfort she got was the roars of dewbacks in the distance.

"Hi, there," the mother whispered as she went to hold the unimaginably small hand of her daughter. The tiny fingers with their practically non-existent fingernails wrapped around her thumb. Keelor's gaze then travelled up the chest of the baby, slowing down at the neck and face. Her heart dropped as she saw the same lightning scars across her own face painted on her newborn child's face.

With her thumb, she lightly brushed the lightning scars on the baby's face, she gave off an even stronger scream. Mother's instinct kicked in immediately as Ree brought her up to her chest and lightly bounced her while making a calming hushing sound. "I'm sorry," guilt washed over her. She felt she was the reason her baby was born with scars, "but you're gonna have to carry them with pride," Ree whispered into the baby's ear even though the infant probably didn't understand a word of it, "don't hide them. Wear it like armour, and they won't be able to use it against you." She placed a kiss on the baby's still wet forehead, "got it, Syerra?"

The sound of ships landing outside of the hut grabbed Ree from their intimate moment. She quickly picked up the cloth she had just given birth on, wrapped it around Syerra and herself, put on her pants and stood up on shaky legs. She was in no condition to be standing up, let alone run, but that's what she did.

She bolted out of the sandstone hut in the middle of a desert, several assault ships landing a stone's throw from the hut. The doors of the ship opened, armed men spilling out of them, "there she is!" They yelled as they started blasting in the direction of Ree. The new mother responded by igniting her lightsaber, though she was in no state for a fight, at least she could reflect the bullets back as she ran fast as her bloody legs allowed her. The afterbirth blood had already seeped through the pant material, giving them a dark red hue instead of a dark leather one.

Her one-man starfighter was parked much closer to the hut than the bounty hunters had landed. Blaster bolts passed her by a hair as she jumped into the cockpit. With a few beatings of buttons, while a baby screamed in her face, she took off, "hope you don't get motion-sick easily," Ree said as she went into lightspeed at a dangerously low altitude.

---

With a sigh of relief, Ree jumped out of lightspeed and went into cruise mode. Just cruising through space at a snail pace was rather relaxing. Syerra had managed to puke twice while going through lightspeed, perhaps not ideal for a newborn to be exposed to those kinds of G-forces but it was either that or getting slaughtered by bounty hunters.

Her linen shirt was now covered in baby puke, her leather pants soaked in blood and her cheeks wet by tears and sweat. Safe to say, the ship smelled awful. Syerra had finally calmed down and Ree could actually study her. She had blonde peach fuzz and fair skin. Ree looked away, out into the vast space outside the cockpit window. it was too hard to look into those eyes. Because they were identical to Ben's.

Dark mahogany eyes, so innocent, seen so little, yet they reminded Ree of a million stories. "He loves you," she assured Syerra, "I promise." Though she was unsure who she was really talking to. "You're strong. You'll get through it-"