River Of Tears

There was no time left for crying. As soon as Tylan's identity had been revealed to the Supreme Leader had his life been put in danger. It was an art form to walk as fast as possible without running and Ree managed to master it as she made it to the part of the Base where she had previously lived. Where she, along with three others, had shared sleeping quarters. With one of them being Tylan. There was a big possibility that Keelor would find him there at that hour, she knew his schedule like the back of her hand.

The door which she once had access to, she know had to knock on. Three knocks sounded through the corridor. The blood on the back of her head and the streams of tears were now dried. The only thing running down her was the sweat beads on her forehead.

With a sliding motion, the door opened, revealing the boy that Ree had sacrificed herself for. His dark brown eyes were red and puffy and had big dark circles under them. It was clear that he had been crying a lot and not sleeping. He still looked as malnourished as he had done up on that stage, probably the reason why he had stolen food from Hux. "Tylan you have to get-" Ree started but was interrupted by Tylan hugging her waist tightly. It seemed as if their previous disagreements had been thrown out the window. Now the Commander had to fight back the tears, wanting to remain strong in front of Tylan. The little boy should be the one crying, his life was in danger, not Ree's. "Tylan, listen to me," Ree tried again as they separated from the hug. "You need to get out of here! Snoke knows who you are and is probably looking for you!"

"But I'm just a technician apprentice, why would he want to find me?" Tylan asked while the blue-eyed was looking around, afraid that any second a squadron of stormtroopers would appear in the hallway that would kill them both of them right there and then.

"Because he thinks you're my weakness and as a Commander, I should be strong and not..." Keelor trailed off as she felt fresh tears on her cheeks. Only thinking of what horrible things Snoke could do to Tylan made her hands shake.

"I can't leave, Ree. Where would I go?" Worry made Tylan's throat close.

"You're from Cantonica, right? Y-you can go back there, maybe work in that big casino?" Ree anxiously tried to come up with a plan.

"No! I hate it there!" Tylan exclaimed.

"But if you stay here you'll die!" Telling a 12-year-old that he could die is a strange phenomenon. To a kid that young it feels like you're immortal. Death is not a concept yet and when you're first is met by it and certainly, if you're the one at risk, it changes the world completely.

"Fine." Tylan gathered himself, he grew up in a couple of seconds, "I'll go." Ree only answered with a nod as she swallowed her last tears, trying to be as brave as Tylan.

---

Ree and Tylan bolted for one of the smaller landing bays where there wouldn't be as many curious eyes. When they were as close as they could hear all the patrolling stormtroopers they slowed down, trying to look calm as if they actually belonged there. The older of the two had already picked out the designated escape ship, a tie fighter. It was light, small and easy to steer.

They walked to one of the tie fighters which stood practically in the middle of the hangar. Luckily no one on the landing pad questioned what the Commander was doing. She climbed inside the tie fighter and pushed in the coordinates for Cantonica. "It's in autopilot, so all you have to do is switch it on when I give you the signal," the former head technician stated as she had jumped out of the tie fighter.

"O-okay," Tylan answered, he had never flown in anything that small, nevertheless alone.

"Now I'm just gonna go up to the control tower and... convince them to let you take off." Ree knew that the way she would have to convince the operatives wouldn't please Tylan so she didn't reveal it. But that would be a piece of cake compared to saying goodbye. "You know, I don't like goodbyes so I'll just say 'see you soon!'" Ree once again fought back the tears. With his scrawny arms, Tylan threw himself around Ree's neck and brought her down to his level. Tylan buried his face in the small waves of her hair.