Ilum

The stack of clothes on top of Ree's drawer was staring right at her. Taunting her with its presence. It consisted of layers of clothing, furs and blankets. Anything that would help keep out the coldness that she would have to endure on Ilum. She put on every single layer slowly, thinking that maybe they would forget about her and she wouldn't have to go.

The woman was now completely covered in an all-black outfit. A turtle neck jacket with a hexagon pattern, a thick scarf much like the one Kylo wore, gloves,  pants that had been tucked into the knee-high leather boots and to top it all off, a hooded cape with fur along the sides. She looked mysterious and dangerous. Or a walking coat rack in a busy pub.

The sound of Ree's short heels hitting the steel floor echoed through the corridors of Starkiller Base. Her steps were quick and small, trying to hurry without running. She was now running late since she had been so slow putting on the clothes.

When she got to the always hectic hangar she looked for the tall figure that was Kylo. Instead, the red hair of General Hux in the midst of stormtroopers stood out like a cloud in the blue sky. But in this case, the cloud was not calm, it was an unpredictable thunderstorm that could go off at any second. Ree pushed past everyone to get to the General. She might detest him but he may have an idea of where Kylo was. "Have you seen Ren?" Ree went straight to the point but the General did not answer and instead kept his nose high in the air. "General," she added.

"He's on a mission." Hux finally answered like the child he was.

"Since when?" Ree scratched the back of her neck. Wasn't he coming to say goodbye? Was it because of what happened yesterday in the training area?

"Since an hour ago." General Hux answered nonchalantly.

"When is he coming back?" Ree could feel her heart racing. She needed his reassurance. She needed to see him one last time. One last time before she left for Ilum for who knows how long?

"In a couple of hours." Hux shrugged. The coincidence that Kylo's mission just happened to take place a few hours before and end just after Ree's departure seemed highly unlikely to be just a coincidence.

"And who gave the order?" Ree narrowed her eyes followed by crossing her arms over her chest.

"I did." Hux kept his nose high in the air. There was a booger he had missed.

"You'll pay for this." Ree spat before she pushed past him, stomping her way up the ship's ramp. Hux smiled victoriously as he watched the girl make way for her a very long and cold vacation.

---

The command shuttle was quiet. Ree didn't say a word and neither did the pilot. The technician sat on one of the benches in the main area of the shuttle, fidgeting with the blaster that Kylo had given her before her first mission. Soon she wouldn't need it, she would have her very own lightsaber. Or that was the optimistic route. The pessimistic one would end with a popsicle Ree.

Both Snoke and Kylo had instructed her to make the lightsaber her very own but still keep the basics of it. That's what Kylo had done, taken something old like the crossguard lightsaber which dated back to the Great Scourge of Malachor. Then, making it even more detrimental by using a cracked Kyber crystal. "Going down for landing." The pilot's comment had pulled Ree out from her thoughts. She rushed to the cockpit and looked out the window.

The snow and wind made it practically impossible to see anything but the white ground. In the distance Ree could spot the silhouette of mountains, that's were she needed to go. The ramp slowly lowered and Ree slowly neared it. The ramp started closing as soon as she had both feet on the ground. There was no turning back now. With one hand Ree wrapped the cloak tight around her and kept the hood up with the other as she headed for the mountains.