Control

The next day Ree wasn't even sure if there was going to be any training that day. Perhaps Kylo was too embarrassed to show up after what happened yesterday, Ree thought. Her uniform had now been fixed and it felt like brand new, steamed and everything. While walking over to the training area she reminded herself that she had promised Tylan to eat lunch with him. They hadn't been able to spend any time together after what happened in the hall. When Ree comes back home then Tylan's already asleep and when he wakes up in the morning, she's long gone.

As Ree stepped through the door to the training area, she bit her lip, hoping that Kylo would be on the other side of that door. The door swooshed open and to Ree's excitement, he was there. Back turned towards the entrance. Now there was another problem on Ree's mind, how would Kylo react?

"Sir," Ree cleared her throat, the awkwardness and sternness in the air getting the best of her. Kylo turned around, still wearing his mask.

"You're here," he stated, not knowing how to handle the situation. An unbearable silence appeared.

"Uhm...shall we get started?" Ree broke the silence.

"Uh Yes!" Kylo sounded just as awkward as Ree. "As you've made clear before you want to train with, in your words, something cooler. So let's move onto these." The Master of the Knights of Ren handed Ree a baton that had a handle at the bottom so you could spin the baton around and the end of it was two-pronged with electricity circling through it. They started their usual parrying but it wasn't as passionate as it used to but instead stiffer. Kylo seemed to avoid inflicting any damage and instead went for obvious attacks that were easy to block.

After a while, Ree was done beating around the bush. "Let's take a break," Ree appealed and they lowered their weapons. The female went to a drinking fountain at the back of the room while Kylo stayed back. When Ree was done drinking she wiped away some water on her mouth and went back to Kylo. They both picked up their weapons again. "You know, you don't have to wear that mask anymore."

"I know," Kylo answered blandly which pursed her lips together.

"Then why do you do it?" She stared into his mask intensely, trying to look past the reflecting glass into the brown orbs she saw yesterday.

"I have to," Kylo crossed his arms.

"No, you don't. At least not around me anymore." Ree said pitifully while giving a bittersweet smile. She wanted to give back the same support he had given her after finding her crying in the hallway. "You know, rumours go around the base. Of what you hide under that mask."

"Yeah?" he scoffed, "what do they say?" The two started pacing around in a circle. Weapons raised.

"That you're a monster," Ree treaded in a circle just as she treaded dangerous waters in the conversation she was having, "sir."

"Is that so?" He seemed rather amused than offended. The superior was the first one to break out of their circular path, lashing out against Ree. She avoided the baton by stepping to the side and the pacing resumed.

"That your face is hideous. Covered in scars and marks." He once again lashed against her but this time Ree managed to get a hit in his back as she avoided the baton. He wheezed in pain for a second but not long enough for Ree to get the upper hand.

"Was it?" The cockiness in his voice seemed to fade for a moment but his actions didn't match his tone as he basically launched himself at Ree, so fast it was impossible to evade and she had to block instead. With all her might she resisted him forcing her down and managed to get his baton off of her. 

As a close-up exchange of batons hits and blocks emerged Ree managed to get out, "if it was. I wouldn't have asked you to take it off." She could swear on Tylan's life that she heard a scoff under the black mask. Though there was no time to dwell on it since Kylo swung his baton right at Ree's face making her duck her head backwards.