Now Or Never

After Ree had woken up it only took an hour until the doctor gave clearance to leave. It had been late in the evening by then and Ree had enough of sleeping. Hence the apprentice went to the one place she knew she could be at peace and think.

The smell of oil filled her nostrils as she entered the workshop, bringing a wide grin across her face. Funny how something that she used to dread, coming home and smelling like an old engine, she now happily welcomed. Everyone was asleep in their quarters meaning that the former head technician had the place to herself. In the very far corner of the room, as far away as possible from the entrance, was Ree's former desk. Her old notes and ideas were still there, she guessed that the new head technician preferred a desk that someone hadn't drawn and carved on.

Ree plummed down in her old chair which she had modified by giving it wheels, back support and a footrest. It was as if the cushion was shaped after her butt, which it in a way was. She picked up one of the little prototypes laying on the desk and started working on it. It was like therapy to her. Here, she could truly not think about anything, just work. 

Half the night passed before the former head technician laid down the prototype. Keelor took a break and started looking at all the scrabbles and carvings on the desk. There was everything from calculations to stick figures. But one note caught her attention; "Take Tylan to the infirmary." 

She rembered when she wrote that down, she had been showing Tylan how to hotwire one of the cleaning droids to become your own little assistant. He had cut himself on the wiring and started bleeding from his thumb. Ree had managed to stop the bleeding with some plasters but after a while, it started to look infected. After the visit to the infirmary and a prescription on some medicine against the infection Tylan was as good as new.

It may have been a small happening and nothing too dangerous but Ree could still feel the fear she had that whole day. Weeks after the initial cut Ree still checked up on his wound to make sure it healed properly. Now, she couldn't be there to protect Tylan from sharp wires or dangerous men, and it was her fault. Though all she had ever done was to protect him, why couldn't he just see that?

---

The rest of the night passed and Ree continued working on different prototypes and coming up with new ideas. Only when the clock struck 6.00 am and all the workers arrived did Ree glance up. Training started now and Ree knew that but still decided to stay put.

All the workers recognised their former head technician but no one said a word, only nodding in her direction. Perhaps out of respect, or out of fear. Tylan was nowhere to be seen. He probably changed station, Ree figured.

It was bustling with noise from people talking and loud machines being used. There was even one using a welding machine making sparks fly everywhere. Ree truly felt calm and relaxed in this environment. Anyone else would go deaf from all the loud noises and wouldn't be able to foucs on a single thing but to Ree, it was her zen garden.

Around mid-day, a masked figure entered the workshop and everyone stopped dead in their tracks. No one of this high rank had ever been near the workshop, nor less inside of it. Everyone's thoughts ran wild but their mouths were shut. Only Ree understood why he was here, she clenched her jaw and furrowed her brow as she refused to look at him. Instead, she kept screwing on the prototype in her hand.

"Leave." The dark voice commanded and everyone hurried out of there in a matter of seconds. The intimidating being strode to the back of the room, where Ree and her desk stood. She kept her gaze focused on the machine in her hand, finding a particular screw very interesting at the moment.

"You weren't at training." He sounded and crossed his arms over his chest.

"You don't say?" Ree scoffed as she scratched a bit at the silver screw.