Tread Lightly

This time, Ree didn't arrive early but instead she aimed for when training actually started. As she went through the door she expected Kylo but instead, she was met by a silver armoured stormtrooper. It was Captain Phasma. Keelor had only seen her once or twice, standing behind Hux while he gave his lengthy speeches. 

"Where is Commander Ren?" Ree asked while she stepped into the training area.

"He 's out on a mission this morning, so I'll be standing in for him today," Phasma explained. "So, what have you and Commander Ren been training on? 

"Well, we've mostly sparred with sticks." She brushed the back of her neck nervously and was kind of ashamed. 

"Sticks? Really?"

"That's what I said!" Ree exclaimed, happy that someone agreed that sticks were stupid.

"Then let's not do that today," Phamsa stated and took a dramatic pause. "Let's do something more advanced." She unfolded her baton which turned into a long metallic spear. The Captain walked over to the wall finding a similar spear that she handed to Ree. At first, Ree was nervous that they were going to fight with something that could inflict harm, but then she was thankful. Thankful that Phasma didn't treat her like a child and instead like someone who could handle the responsibility. "Let's begin."

The Captain had a different fighting style than Kylo, Ree noticed. His was much more aggressive and offensive. Hers was refined and strategic. After a while, Keelor had gotten used to the different opponent and had changed her own strategy. The two kept sparring for the rest of day, not stopping even stopping for lunch. Phasma was a good teacher and Ree enjoyed learning but at one moment later in the day not stopping for lunch would show later.

It was late in the evening and the blonde wasn't even close to having the same stamina as the Captain. For a period of time, Ree had only been defending and not attacking. Over and over again, Phasma was swinging her weapon at her who every time had to parry it with all her power, it was exhausting. 

"Captain..please..a..break," Keelor panted between parrying and catching her breath.

"The enemy won't stop for a break and neither will you," Phasma argued back and kept attacking. It wasn't long before Ree couldn't manage to block one of her swings and was hit on the left upper arm.

"Shit! Stop!" Keelor yelled out while grabbing her arm, right where the spear had torn through her jacket and flesh. Blood was gushing out and staining the jacket. Phasma lowered the weapon to her side and walked over to the injured, looking at the wound. In one swift movement, the Captain ripped off the left sleeve of the jacket. "Hey! What are you doing?" She asked but quickly understood. Phasma pressed the sleeve against the open wound.

"Hold this against. Go to the infirmary. They will be able to help you." Ree nodded and headed out of the training area.

It wasn't that far to the infirmary from there but with every step she took, she could feel herself getting more lightheaded. "What can I help you with, miss?" A nurse asked as Ree stumbled into the infirmary.

"This." The wounded suddenly lost her balance, grabbing onto the nurse's uniform for support.

"Woah. Sit down here, I'll get someone who can help you." The nurse sat her down on a medical bed. The infirmary was a long room with two rows of medical beds, one against the side where you came in with windows looking out into the hallway, Ree was placed on the row opposite of the first row. The nurse came back with a man in a white coat.

"I'm doctor Otkins. Let's take a look at that, shall we?" The man in the white coat sounded and carefully removed the torn sleeve that Ree was holding against. Immediately blood started running down the arm. "We need to stitch this up, nurse get me the supplies."