Chapter 4

Draco Malfoy expected to be handed a lot of things in his life, but a reply to the letter he had written to Harry Potter in a fit of despair was not one of them. He was anxious, fully prepared to open a howler shouting all of the negative things that Draco often thought about himself, turning them into a reality. If Harry Potter couldn't even find one redeemable quality about you, you might as well be dead. There was no coming back from that.

Tentatively opening the letter he wasn't surprised at how short it had been.

"At least he wishes me the best", Draco thought with a shake of his head, trying to clear his thoughts.

Draco didn't think the letter warranted his reply; he had made his peace as best as he could. It was odd that Potter hadn't acknowledged his apology though. That was out of character. It couldn't hurt to respond to Potter on the bottom of the parchment he had sent, could it?

Debating whether or not it was a good idea, Draco's mother called him down for breakfast. With a sigh, Draco locked the letter, still folded, into his desk drawer. Breakfast couldn't be over fast enough.

When Harry woke up, it was noon. He wasn't surprised really. An extra hour was spent last night waiting for a reply from Malfoy, until Harry realized he had no clue how long it took the owl to get to and from either Malfoy Manor or Grimmauld Place. Harry wondered how the owl could even locate his house, until remembering that Draco was technically a Black. Just to be safe, Harry keyed Malfoy into the wards.

Dragging himself out of bed, he busied himself in making lunch, hoping a letter would eventually find its way back to him. Once it was done, he summoned Kreacher so that the old house elf could eat.

"Thank you Master Harry. Can I do anything for you?"

Harry had given up on telling Kreacher just to call him Harry. Master Harry was better than Master Potter at least.

"No thank you."

"Very well. I is going back up to my room until Master Harry needs me."

Sighing, Harry was debating how badly he needed a shower when there was a tap at the window. Rushing over and almost tripping over his feet, he let the owl inside. Harry quickly tore into the letter.

"Potter,

I apologize for the late reply. With the way your letter was folded, I didn't think there was anymore to it. I thought you were politely disregarding me, but I was still happy you heard me out at least.

Mother and I are doing as well as we can be. I would tell her you send your regards, but I truthfully don't know how she would react at this point in time. She spends most of her time out in the garden now, not that I blame her.

Careful Potter, I may just take you up on that offer of writing to you. Especially during the night. I apologize for writing so late, but I'm happy I could cut your nightmare short. Salazar knows that is a necessity nowadays.

If you'd like to write me first for any reason, you can just sprinkle some floo powder on the letter, state "Draco's room, Malfoy Manor" and toss it in. That will go to me directly. I heard you lost your owl, and I don't know if you ever got a new one. If not, feel free to use that method to reach me as it's much quicker than owl post. I think it'll be handy on sleepless nights.

Thank you for the apology Potter. I know you're too nice to ask if it scarred, but I know you're wondering. It did, faintly. It's not the worst scar on my body, so don't worry about that. However, if you dare call me Scarchest I may just end it all right now (Clarification that this is sarcasm and dark humor, which I don't think translates well over letters). It was a wake up call for me, that came way too late.

Our banter was the only thing keeping me going some days, when I wasn't pushing things too far. Maybe one day we'll get back to that Potter. Thank you for writing back and noticing that I'm trying to get better. It's going to be a long journey, but it's one I must make.

Be well,

Draco Malfoy"