Chapter 59

Begrudgingly, Harry and Draco separated once the portkey took them back to Harry's house. The party started in about 3 hours, and Harry was instructed to wait until Draco came to get him. After kissing Draco goodbye, he unpacked all of his things and was about to shower when Kreacher alerted him that there was an incoming floo call for him.

Harry went into his living room very confused because everyone he was friends with he would be seeing soon.

"Hello?", he answered, confusion seeping into his tone.

"Harry!", Hermione greeted.

"Hello Mione, how are you?"

"We were worried about you! We tried calling a few times and there was no answer!"

"I'm sorry Hermione, I was out."

"You went out? Really?", Ron asked.

"I'm not a hermit Ron", Harry spit bitterly.

"Sorry, sorry. I didn't mean it like that. I just get worried about you mate. Were you with someone at least?"

"I was, yes."

"Oh really, who?", Hermione asked curiously.

Before Harry could open his mouth and respond, he heard the crack of apparition. Terrified, he turned around to see who it was.

"Hey Har- Oh hello Ron, Hermione."

"Neville, how are you?", Hermione asked politely.

"I'm doing well, thanks. I just came to see Harry, a few of us are going to celebrate his birthday in a bit."

"Yes, Harry was just telling us that he went out with a friend yesterday and that's why he wasn't around to answer our calls."

"Well yeah Hermione, yesterday was my birthday you know. Harry got me these amazing rare plant species cuttings! I can't wait to propagate them, they're going to be amazing!"

"Oh Neville happy belated birthday! I'm so sorry that it completely slipped my mind!"

"Sorry mate, happy birthday!", Ron added sheepishly.

"Thank you, both of you. It was a good one."

"Speaking of, I'm not sure if we'll be able to make it down for your dinner or not Harry. I'm really sorry, but my parents appear to have regressed a little bit, and I don't want to undo all of my hard work. I need to make sure they're okay before we return to Hogwarts."

"Oh. I understand. Send them my best."

"Of course. We'll let you get to it Harry, and we'll see you soon, I promise. I'll owl you!"

"Oh. Okay. Bye then."

It wasn't until after Ron and Hermione ended the call, that Harry realized they hadn't even wished him a happy birthday. This stung more than it would have previously as now they probably weren't even coming to celebrate with him at all.

"Thanks Nev", he said quietly, his mood completely deflated.

"It's not their business who you were with anyway. Happy birthday Harry."

"It's more important than my birthday apparently. They didn't even wish me well or anything", he added with a snort.

"They're not being very good friends. I'm sorry Harry. Don't let them get you down, today is still your day."

"How was your birthday? Malfoy told me you were with Zabini?", Harry teased.

Neville blushed and looked away.

"He came to my house to pick me up. I think Nan is more smitten with him than I am. Blaise completely swept her off her feet. I didn't even know she could be that nice!

We went out for a really nice dinner, and he bought me this gorgeous watch that he customized. The clock face is charmed to change according to the weather, and instead of numbers there are various plants to show the time."

Showing Harry the watch on his wrist, Harry gasped at how stunning it was.

"That's absolutely beautiful."

"I know right? Who would've thought? Thanks for setting us up Harry, really. Speaking of set up though, how are you and Malfoy?", he teased.

"We're really good. He's such a wonderful friend. Did you know where he was taking me?"

"Just a friend? And nope, none of us had a clue."

"We went to the states and spent a lot of time on the beach. We went to an amusement park, he's a menace on the bumper cars by the way, played mini golf which he's awful at but don't tell him I told you, and laser tag. The whole group of us have to go and play, it was bloody brilliant."

"You look well rested and relaxed which is a nice change. Or you did before your call with Ron and Hermione."

"It was so nice to be away. Just to be somewhere else where no one knows you and no one cares about you. That really was the greatest gift anyone could give me. How did you know I was back?"

"I was helping Ginny set up along with Pansy and Blaise when Malfoy came back. He just dropped his bags off and went to take a shower. I thought I would pop in in case you wanted to talk about anything alone. I'm glad I came when I did though, that could've gotten messy."

"It already is messy, Neville."

"Good thing in great with cleaning charms huh?", he joked. "Go take a shower and we can talk some more. I'll wait for you."

Harry did as told and came back to find Neville sprawled out in his bed.

"Do you know what you're wearing yet? Something to knock the pants off of Malfoy perhaps?"

"Is there something you know that I don't?", Harry asked, walking over to his closet and opening it.

"Just that you actually like Malfoy and you deserve to have some fun tonight. I can't believe I'm saying this but he's a decent bloke. He's good for you."

"I may like him, a small bit", Harry relented, "but you're sworn to secrecy! I don't need a boyfriend right now. I need to work on myself first."

That wasn't technically a lie, so Harry didn't feel bad about it. His relationship with Draco was the most important thing to him, and he wouldn't screw it up.

"Well, we can still tease him nonetheless. Show me what you've got."

With a hidden smirk, Harry pulled out the pants Zoe helped him find. He knew they would be perfect for tonight.

"Merlin Harry, you really did get tan!"

"Lots of time on the beach", he replied with a laugh. "What do you think of this shirt?"

"Do you have anything tight?"

"Neville, you're an absolutely wonderful friend."

"I know I am. Sometimes, you just need the help Har."

With a laugh, Harry let Neville continue to help him, thankful that things were still bright, even with a few minor setbacks. Even if he didn't have Ron and Hermione, he knew he would always have Neville.