Chapter 9

Grimmauld Place had never shined as much as it did in this moment. Kreacher had never seen his master in such a state, but he was happy to see him out of his room and moving around. Kreacher enjoyed Master Harry trusting him with tasks, and he was pleased to see Harry using the kitchen every day now.

When Malfoy finally knocked on Harry's door, Harry practically jumped out of his skin. He had been in the kitchen, preparing dinner for himself, Kreacher, and hopefully Malfoy as well. Wiping his hands on a towel slung over his shoulder, he dropped it onto the counter and opened the door.

Draco almost stepped backwards due to the sheer intensity of the emotions in Potter's eyes.

"Hello Potter."

And Merlin be damned, Potter gave Draco one of his breathtaking smiles, and a small nod.

"So, I have a gift for you. I hope it's not insensitive or anything of that nature, because I didn't intend for it to be. But when I was out and I saw him... well, here."

Draco extended his arm, and Harry was shocked to see a small owl hopping up, resting upon Draco's shoulder. When it turned its head to look at Harry, he inhaled sharply at the bright green color of the owl's eyes. Cautiously, he held up a hand and the owl hooted happily, quickly perching on his shoulder after nuzzling into Harry's hand.

Staring at the owl on his shoulder, it looked right back at him. Harry noticed that it had a small nick on its forehead, and laughed quietly. The messy mass of feathers, the small mark, and the bright green eyes were an uncanny likeness for Harry.

"I call him Scarhead of course, but you're free to naame him whatever you like. He's very affectionate, quite cute. Don't let him fool you, he may be tiny but he's got quite a bite."

The owl seemed to nod its head in agreement, and Harry was overtaken by emotion.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to upset you-"

"Would you like to come in?", Harry asked, effectively cutting off Draco's rant.

"I- what? Yes, thank you."

When Harry and the owl both tilted their head to the side, seemingly questioning Draco, Malfoy could not hold back the laugh that had been bubbling up inside of him after confirming the likeness between the two.

Harry was shocked as he closed the door behind Draco. The Malfoy he knew never laughed like that. There was always a malicious undertone. It was nice to have moved past that.

"I did buy a new cage for him. He has a pension for breaking out and finding himself in troublesome situations like someone else I know. There's some food for him in here too- Why are you staring at me?"

Draco had just set everything down on an end table after taking off his shoes, and turned to find Potter staring at him. The little owl flew on top of his cage, and Harry practically tackled Draco into a hug. Draco got a face full of hair, but he didn't mind. Much.

Cautiously, he wrapped his arms around the younger man, feeling tears well up in his eyes. It had been too long, if ever, since he had received a proper hug.

"These are tears of joy right? And I didn't offend you?", Draco clarified.

"Correct."

"Good. Now, where do you want Scarhead set up? I can help and then be on my way."

"Dinner?"

Draco stopped in his tracks.

"Are you asking if I would like to stay for dinner?"

Harry nodded profusely, the slight red tint to his cheeks not going unnoticed by Draco.

"I'd love to Potter. Thank you."