Chapter 43

Draco could actually believe that he was happy for once. Things were going well. Amazing in fact. He had great friends, he was sleeping better, and he was smiling more. What else could someone ask for?

His day had been spent third wheeling Pansy and Ginny. They picked up decorations, planned out the food list, and Draco even went so far as to bring Ginny to The Manor so she could see how big of an area she was working with. That wasn't what his problem was.

The problem came when his mother entered his room later that night, with a letter for him. It was unmistakable what it was really. These letters had been coming for 7 years now. Knowing didn't help his case however, it only made him feel worse.

Accepting the letter, he went into his room to open it in private. He knew this day was coming, but he still couldn't believe it. Draco had honestly expected to not be allowed back into Hogwarts after all he had done. Sure, he had switched to the right side in the end, but who knew that really? What did it matter anyways? The harm had already been done, and there were some things an apology could not fix.

Sucking in a deep breath, his shaking hands finally removed the bit of parchment from the envelope.

"Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Headmistress: Minerva McGonagall

Dear Mr. Malfoy,

I am pleased to inform you that you have been accepted back to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to retake your 7th year. This invitation has been extended to all 8th years as we will now call you, to avoid confusion with last year's 6th years who are now in year 7.

Term begins 1 September. As this is shorter notice, we expect your owl no later than August 7th.

I really do hope you consider this offer Mr. Malfoy. I would like to arrange an in person meeting with you if that's alright. There are a few things that need to be discussed before we move any further. Please owl back to me by the end of the weekend at the latest. Be well.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall"

Draco couldn't stop shaking as he reread the letter. What did she want to meet with him for? Well, logically there were a lot of reasons why she would want to meet with him. He couldn't decide which reason was worse. On the verge of a panic attack, he changed into one of Harry's shirts that he had stolen for comfort, pajama pants, and then he downed a calming draught. He knew they sometimes increased his risks of nightmares, but he needed to breathe.
With his nerves taking over, he finally fell asleep, clutching the bit of parchment for dear life.

It wasn't long before the nightmare started.

Harry had been lounging on the couch when his letter arrived. He left it to the side for most of the night. Menial daily tasks were performed, just to give him a reason not to open it. It took him hours to get up the nerve to pick it up, let alone look at it. Taking a deep, calming breath, he opened the letter.

"Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Headmistress: Minerva McGonagall

Dear Mr. Potter,

I am pleased to inform you that you have been accepted back to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to retake your 7th year. This invitation has been extended to all 8th years as we will now call you, to avoid confusion with last year's 6th years who are now in year 7.

Term begins 1 September. As this is shorter notice, we expect your owl no later than August 7th.

Mr. Potter, I know it will not be easy for you to return, if you choose to do so at all. I strongly encourage you to come back and finish your education. I'm not sure if you still wish to be an Auror, but any career would like you to have fully completed your education. You and I both know you'll be accepted into any job regardless of your return to Hogwarts, but I feel it is in your safest interest to complete your last year of schooling.

At the very least, I would like to discuss your options with you at a future point in time. Please know that there is no pressure for you to return. This is a choice for you to make, and you alone. I will reach out to you with options for a meeting. Take care of yourself Potter.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall"

Harry's thoughts were spiraling. He loved Hogwarts, it had been his first home after all. But actually going back, knowing what happened there and what he had done, he wasn't sure if he could do it. Sure, he faced Voldemort, but now he had to face the consequences of his own actions. It was getting to be too much for him to handle. He was getting a migraine and working himself up over nothing.

After getting changed, he spent the time before he fell asleep wondering about Malfoy. If anyone had it harder than Harry, it was Draco. He decided to quickly write him a note before laying down.

"Prince,

Got the letter earlier today, and finally had the guts to open it. I can't imagine you're feeling much better than me. Lunch tomorrow to talk?

Scarhead x"

Once that was sent off to Malfoy, Harry got into bed where he tossed and turned for at least an hour. He felt like he had just drifted off when he was awoken by a loud pop and a muffled cry, immediately putting him on high alert.