Chapter 44

Wand in hand, Harry ran out of his room, stumbling a bit as his blanket caught around his foot. Taking the stairs two at a time, he burst into the living room, a sinking feeling in his gut. He heard a wail and was tackled to the ground in a tight hug. The lingering scent of cologne let him know who it was, which only made him more worried.

"Draco what's wrong?"

Harry had never seen Draco in such a state. He considered Draco to be impenetrable, like a fortress. His resolve had crumbled, and all Harry had in his arms was the remnants of the force he once believed Draco to be.

"Don't leave me", Draco choked out.

This had been one of the worst nightmares of his life. His senses and thoughts were clouded. The only thing playing through his mind was, "Harry, Harry, Harry." As soon as he was awake, he immediately apparated over, blanket still wrapped around himself.

"I will never leave you Draco. It's you and I until the end. There is nothing in the world that can separate me from you."

Draco just cried harder into Harry's chest. All of his past insecurities that he was working through came resurfacing with a brute force that rattled him to his core. He couldn't breathe, he couldn't think, and even Harry was slipping away from him, causing him to dig his nails into Harry's back. Draco needed something tangible to ground him.

Moving to get up, Harry felt Draco's nails dig into his back even deeper.

"I'm bringing you with me okay? I'm not leaving you alone", Harry whispered softly.

It was like Draco couldn't even see Harry anymore, he was so into his own head. The darkness that had slowly been receding came back full force, and Draco suddenly forgot how to cast Lumos.

Originally, Harry was going to bring Draco upstairs with him, but Draco looked like he needed some air. Holding him close, Harry lifted the both of them off the floor, and talked to Draco as he walked outside, wrapping the blanket Draco had brought tighter around him.

"We're just going out to the backyard okay? Just focus on my voice. I know it's hard Draco and it feels like the world is closing in, but I'm right here with you. You aren't alone, I've got you, and I'll always have you no matter what."

Harry was bringing him back out to the pond, hoping that the happy memories the two men had made here would chase away whatever had hurt Draco so badly. The lights had been left up because Harry loved how they looked, so Harry readjusted Draco so he could grab his wand and turn them on. It was a bit difficult for him to see anything because he hadn't grabbed his glasses.

"Can you look at the lights, Draco?"

After receiving no response, he added, "for me?". This was enough to get Draco to turn his head, just a little bit. Once he looked at the familiar surroundings, he took a deep breath and closed his eyes, trying to replace his bad thoughts with thoughts of his birthday.

"Remember how much fun we had? You looked more breathtaking than usual illuminated by the lanterns. I'd do anything to keep you smiling like that forever. Tell me what I can do when you're ready. For now, just focus on your breathing."

Listening to Harry's voice was slowly helping Draco calm down, and bring himself back to the present.

"Keep talking", he whispered hoarsely.

This was going to be a struggle for Harry himself. He still wasn't comfortable speaking for long periods at a time, but he pushed that aside for Draco.

"Well, I have a story that will either make you laugh, flattered, or angry. Probably all three. You remember year 2 with the chamber of secrets and everything and how everyone was trying to figure out who the heir of Slytherin was?