Chapter 40

A few days had passed since the movie night, and the two men were closer than ever. Draco was working fervently on his gift for Harry. Harry was becoming suspicious at the halt in communication (though they still spoke every day), but Draco reassured him everything was fine, even going so far as to ask Harry if he wanted the surprise ruined the last time they saw each other in person.

"Hey Scarhead?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you like surprises? I'm planning something for your birthday, but I don't know how you feel about surprises. I don't want to upset you if you don't like them."

"And here I thought you were cheating on me", Harry teased.

"As if", Draco replied with a snort. "I'm just trying to make sure you have the best birthday imaginable. But I don't want to upset you if you don't like surprises."

"Honestly? I hate surprises", Harry admitted. "Things would have been so much better if I had been given information up front and not surprised with it at the last minute. That being said, I trust you. So if you think it's best to keep this a surprise, then I'll go with it."

"You're sure you'll be okay with the surprise?"

"It's a good one?", Harry clarified.

"The best", Draco reassured.

"You let me lead you around blindfolded while I carried you for your birthday. The least I can do is allow you to finish carrying out your plans. Just don't make it a habit. The only surprises I need are when you come over to see me."

Harry's trust in him made Draco's heart soar, and he worked twice as hard to plan everything perfectly.

Currently, Harry was waiting for a response from Draco. He had an idea and wanted to construct a plan, but he needed Draco in on it. Feeling exasperated, Harry just decided to go to The Manor.

"Harry dear, I wasn't expecting you. It's always nice to see you. You must come over more often", Narcissa greeted him.

"I should", he agreed apologetically.

"Has the salve been working as it should?"

"Oh yes, thank you!"

That's how Draco came downstairs for a drink to find a shirtless Harry Potter in his kitchen. Narcissa knew exactly what she was doing. She was getting tired of the endless pining.

"Draco, I think it's time for another salve application don't you?", she asked coyly.

Harry looked over his shoulder and gave Draco that lopsided grin of his that drove Draco absolutely crazy.

"I suppose so. Hello Potter."

"Do stay for dinner Harry. It would be nice to have some more company."

"Of course, thanks."

Harry then handed her a tin.

"Brownies."

"That was very kind of you, thank you Harry."

Draco motioned for Harry to go up the stairs in front of him, swiping a brownie from the tin as his mother smirked at it. He hated feeling like others knew something that he didn't. Watching Harry walk up the stairs, shirt slung over his shoulder, Draco understood. His mother was a meddler, a true Malfoy.

"To what do I owe this wonderful surprise?", Draco asked as Harry collapsed onto his bed.

"You didn't write me back", Harry said with a pout.

"I didn't- oh!"

He had just noticed the small pile of notes, right next to Harry's birthday plans, which he quickly spelled away.