Chapter 46

{Thank you for 15K 💗}

Harry came out of the shower, and was surprised to find that Draco wasn't waiting for him in his bed. Peeking his head out into the hallway, he smiled when he saw the door to his safe room was open. Leaning against the door, he watched Draco who was lost to the world as he poured through the book. The quiet chuckle from Harry startled him out of his reverie.

"It's rude to stare, Potter."

"I was just admiring the art."

"Maybe I could too if you bothered fixing your hair", Draco replied with an eye roll. "Come here."

Hiding a smile, he sat down in front of Draco, humming lightly as Draco ran his fingers through his hair.

"You didn't fix it on purpose so I would do this for you."

"You caught me."

Even though he complained about it, Harry knew that Draco secretly loved doing it.

"Decide what you want to do yet?", Harry asked.

"Can we go on a drive? I don't care where."

"That would be nice. I think I know a place we can go actually."

"A surprise?", Draco asked with a growing smile.

"If you want it to be. How much of the book you're reading is left?"

"About half of it?"

"Perfect. I'll go prepare and I'll come get you when I'm done. If you finish before I'm back then come and find me."

"Okay Scarhead", Draco agreed, settling back into the beanbag.

Harry was on a mission. As soon as Draco requested a drive, Harry knew exactly where to take him. A lot of comfort was to be found in driving for Harry. After the war he would drive for hours trying to find some sort of escape, and stumbled upon a really nice recreational park. It was great for hiking and thinking, amongst other things.

The first thing Harry did was go to the kitchen and start preparing lunch to take with them. It was over an hour long drive to the park, and Harry thought they could have a picnic. He knew just the spot.

Sandwiches were a quick and easy lunch to prepare. He made a salad, grabbed some crisps from the cupboard, then made some tea and poured it into a thermos. Grabbing some other things to drink, he snagged his charmed picnic basket. It was times like these where Harry enjoyed being a wizard because food and drinks could be preserved for so much longer. After packing some more snacks, Harry set off to make some dessert. Once that was done, he grabbed some blankets and began to pack his car.

Picnic basket, blankets, a camera he barely used since Draco didn't have his, and two hoodies just in case. Biting his lip as he walked back inside, he questioned if he needed to pack anything else. He was startled as Draco launched himself onto Harry's back with a laugh.

"Not so nice to have someone sneak up on you is it?", Draco teased.

"If you were anyone else I would've let you hit the ground."

"But you love me so you caught me."

"I do, and I will continue to catch you no matter what."

"Am I dressed okay for whatever we're doing?", Draco asked, sliding off of Harry's back.

He was wearing one of Harry's shirts, and his own jeans and boots.

"Perfect. Let me just double check everything before we head out."

As Harry was preparing for their outing, Draco was sitting on the kitchen counter waiting for his return. He had been gone a few minutes when there was a tap at the window. Worrying his lip between his teeth, Draco was surprised that McGonagall had already sent him a reply. After instructing the owl to wait, he opened the letter.

"Mr. Malfoy,

I am pleased that you are at least entertaining the notion of returning. Despite your previous circumstances, you are still one of our brightest students, and an asset to the school. I am open to discussing your circumstances at our meeting.

Does two days time from now work? I assure you that there is nothing negative about this meeting, but I'm sure you'd like it over sooner rather than later. If this day works for you, send me a confirmation and I will see you at noon.

Best,

Minerva McGonagall"

Draco was writing his confirmation when Harry walked in. He slid the letter over to him, then sent off the reply with the Hogwarts owl.

"I didn't get a response back yet, did I?", Harry asked.

"Not that I could see, no."

"There will probably be one waiting for me when I get back."

"Did you want to wait?"

"Absolutely not. Get that fine arse of yours in my car. My replies get to her immediately through the floo network anyways. She can wait until after we're back."

Smiling at Harry with a nod, Draco allowed the other man to drag him outside and into the car, after Harry opened the door for him first of course. Both men were excited about the possibilities of what the day could hold. Hogwarts could wait, because as it has been proven time and time again, it will always be there.