Chapter 55

{Art credit to @/upthehillart on Instagram! I saw this on ig and I thought it would be perfect for their first kiss. I couldn't spoil the last chapter with it, so I'm putting it here 😌}

Today was their last full day of their trip, and things had just gotten a lot more complicated. Draco had woken up first, his head was now resting on Harry's chest, listening to his heartbeat. He didn't know what they were or what they would be, but this was so nice. Harry had an arm thrown protectively over Draco's waist, and Draco didn't care if they stayed in bed like this all day.

Draco was staring off into space when a letter on the nightstand with his name on it caught his attention. Moving carefully, Draco was able to grab it without waking up Harry. If Harry was up late writing this, that would explain why he was still sleeping.

Unfolding the parchment, Draco began to read.

"My Prince,

I envy how quickly you were able to fall asleep, and I hope that I don't wake you up as I write this. I know I won't be able to properly articulate my words tomorrow, so I'm writing this to hopefully make sense of everything before we talk. I don't even know if I'll be giving this to you to read or not, I just need to get it all out of my head and somewhere else.

You're absolutely amazing Draco, and I hope you know that I mean that. After everything I've been through, I never thought I'd be able to fully trust someone ever again, but somehow you managed to sneak your way through.

I'm very new to feelings this powerful, and the last thing that I would ever want to do is hurt you. You know that I love you as a friend, and that I really, really like you as something more than that. I'm just not sure how to proceed.

I honestly don't know if I'm ready for a relationship yet. Or maybe it's just the fact that labels scare me. I've gone through so much loss in my life that the thought of further labeling what we have makes it that much more real, and that much more to lose. The thought of losing you in any capacity physically hurts me.

I'm not saying that I want to remain just friends, because I don't think I'll ever be able to look at you again without wanting to kiss you. You just fill me up with such joy that I want to show you how happy you make me. You also have very kissable lips, but that's beside the point. Merlin I'm tired if I just wrote that.

Getting back to my point though, I want to be something. I don't want to be friends with benefits because I care about you and you're worth so much more than that. Can we not label it for now? I just want to take some time to be and feel with you, if that's alright.

Our friendship is still new, so I want to continue expanding on that with you, if you're willing. No matter what you decide, I hope it's to still remain in your life.

Love,

Your Scarhead x"

The letter had sent Draco through a fit of emotions. He felt a bit bad for continuing to read the letter in case Harry decided not to give it to him, but he was glad that he had read it. If he was being honest with himself, Draco also didn't know how to proceed. He had never been in a real relationship before, not with someone who meant so much to him.

The thought that Harry spent so much time to be sure he didn't say the wrong thing to hurt Draco spoke volumes of his character. Draco didn't care whether Harry wanted to label what they were or not, just that if they were to be intimate in any fashion that they were exclusive. Malfoys did not share, and Draco either wanted all of Harry in a romantic fashion or nothing at all.

They could just be Harry and Draco. Scarhead and Prince. Darling and Sweetheart. Just the fact that Harry wanted to be with Draco in any kind of capacity made him extremely happy. Being able to kiss Harry was just a bonus.