Nothing But The Truth (The Wedding Reception)

Chapter Fifteen:

I took a deep breath and waited for my time to sing. The song had a lengthy intro and then I began to sing the sad song. All eyes were on me, as everyone had stopped dancing and went to their seats. I looked at everyone around the room and I couldn't help that my eyes would stop at Jaxon every so often but then I would notice and move on. I finished the song with a tear sliding down my cheek. I thanked everyone for their time and passed it on to Gage who gave a great introduction for the DJ while the others helped him set up. I walked through the crowd and made my way to Mia's table.

I ate a little of the meal and got up to get another drink when I walked into her. She had excused herself from the table but I could see Jaxon was keeping his eye on his fiance. She didn't care to look back and make sure the coast was clear and I wondered what she could possibly want. She stopped me and I stood there and waited for her to speak.

"I know you were singing for him," she said. I rolled my eyes.

"And what makes you think that, Julia," I asked her.

"I paid attention to the words," she said smugly. She really thought she was so smart.

"I hate to burst your little bubble of crazy but those were songs that Mia personally requested. I am just the vessel for her choices," I told her, crossing my arms.

"I don't believe you, Raven," she said my name like a bad word, "All I know is that you need to stay away from my fiance. He is mine and you lost your chance with him. I picked up the pieces that you left behind. You need to tell him something to make him leave you alone. Make him forget all about you."

"If I had something like that I would have used it a long time ago. I don't know what more I can tell him, Julia. I already told him that I don't love him. There isn't much more I can do," I told her quietly.

"He is hanging onto this notion that you two are friends," she told me.

"Because we are," I told her. This was getting tiresome.

"Then stop being his friend. Tell him you hate him and you never want to see him again," she instructed me.

"Juda--I mean, Julia, I do believe I told you that I wasn't going out of my way to please you. I told him that I don't love him like that and the result is that we are friends. If you can't handle that, it isn't my problem, it's yours. I haven't done anything to lead him on and I won't do something like that. Now, I have better things to do besides indulge you. Excuse me," I told her and tried to pass but she gripped my arm.

"You are nothing but a pathetic woman. You will forever be alone with nothing but your career to take pride in. I may not have a big name like you but at least I know love," she whispered harshly.

"Love is selfless, Julia. Something that you are not. Love is kind. Something that you know not of. And lastly, love is giving and all you do is take," I had turned on her and backed her into a table as I spoke. "I'm surprised that anyone could love a snake like you, Julia, but if you hurt my friend, I will make sure you won't ever make the same mistake twice." Then I was walking away from her and her frightened eyes.

I needed air and fast. I saw two double glass doors and walked outside onto the balcony. I took a deep breath and I tried to fight the tears. Maybe she was right and I cared too much about my career to stop and find love. No, she isn't right, I told myself, She stole my love and now I was left all alone. It was her fault. I sighed and stared at my trembling hands.

"Raven? Are you okay," Alex asked, walking out onto the balcony.

"Just fine," I told him.

"I know when you're lying," he told me.