Happy Clubbin' Birthday

Chapter Twenty-Four:

We arrived at the club and the girls were astounded. It was a new club opening and I wondered how on earth Jo had managed to get us in on opening night. I was starting to wonder about her. I was happy for Bastian, sure, but she was hindering his job of being my bodyguard. I was fine with it until it became an issue of my safety and now with no boyfriend to defend me if I need it, I was beginning to see the problem with her consistent need to be with Bastian.

I wouldn't focus on that tonight, though. I knew I was very much capable of defending myself if I needed to and if anything I would be with people in a large crowd. We walked up to the front of the line and the guys were staring while the girls were trying to figure out how they knew the girls that I was with. I was hoping to go unrecognized and when no one shouted 'oh em gee, is that Venus?' I figured I was in the clear. We got inside safely and smoothly and were greeted by loud music and sweat drenched, half naked ladies with horny, half-drunk guys attached to their hips.

We made our way over to the bar and I sent Bastian a text telling him that we were here. I would like to think that he was waiting impatiently for me, but the truth was more likely that he was making out with Jo somewhere in a dark corner. I ordered a pina colada and sat at the bar while the girls went to dance their butts off.

"Hey, beautiful. Why are you sitting here by yourself," a deep, masculine voice asked me. I was so not in the mood, but I put on my false smile and turned to the not so stunning man that was trying to hit on me.

"I'm just not in the mood to dance with my friends," I said, pointing to them on the dance floor. Rule number one: never admit to being alone, no matter the circumstances.

"Well, I could always keep you company," he told me and waved at the bartender to refill his drink.

"I'm good, but thanks anyway," I said, but either he didn't hear me or he didn't care to listen because he didn't leave.

"Well, my name is Drake. You know you look kind of familiar," he told me, eyeing me curiously.

"I get that a lot actually. I guess I just have one of those famous faces," I told him. I didn't want him drawing unwanted attention to me.

"Oh, well, what's your name, gorgeous," he asked me. I thought about what name I could give him and since my best friend wasn't here I gave him hers.

"I'm Mia," I told him.

"That's a lovely name," he said as he picked up his refilled drink.

"If anyone would like to come up here for some karaoke, while our DJ takes a break, you are more than welcome," came the announcement as the music dimmed down. I looked to Izzy and she was already rushing over to me with her friends.

"Come on, come on, come ON," she said pulling me up and away from my empty glass.

"Bye, Dray," I called back as I was dragged away. I vaguely heard him correct me as I left.

"Alright, well, these lovely ladies would like for the birthday girl and her best friend to sing up on the stage."

"I want to sing 'Everybody Talks.' Please," Izzy begged me. I rolled my eyes.

"It's your birthday, Izzy," I told her and she squealed and told the guy behind the booth what she wanted. He handed her two mics and then she walked over to me and dragged me on the small stage. I shook my head and sighed deeply. We waited for the song to start, but when it did it wasn't the one we had asked for.

Summer after high school when we first met

We make out in your Mustang to Radiohead