chapter 11 The Memorable Engagement

As Sanjana settled in the car to start the temple , she thought of Sunita and Kritika. so she inquired from her Nani

“Nani, please call Sunita to ask her where they are?”

“Kritika called beta she told me they will reach directly at the temple, so just relax okay “

 “Okay, Nani “sanjana was feeling nervous as she was going to start her new journey of life, she was just wishing that she could get all the love and the acceptance of the family for which she was craving from childhood

      They all reached the temple before the auspicious time. Both the families exchanged greetings. Sanjana touched her in-laws’ feet, hugged her sister-in-law, and just nodded at Rohan. Mrs Batra put a kohl dot behind her ear to save her from the evil eye.

       “ You are looking lovely beta ( child)” Mrs Batra stated lovingly. 

    “Yes, see Bhai“’s eyes were not moving from her beautiful face”,Neeti teased her brother.

       Rohan and Sanjana both blushed at her statement-making all the elders laugh at their situation.

“We can start the ceremony now,”the priest announced.

Mrs Batra made Sanjana and Rohan sit beside each other on small stools., First Mrs Batra put the kumkum on Sanjana’s forehead., then she placed a velvet cloth in her lap. In which they put coconut, dry fruits and some cash. 

     Mrs Dhani Chauhan, also started the same ritual with Rohan. She put tilak on his forehead and presented the gifts from the bride’s house.,with coconut and silver coin, dry fruits and some cash.

   Then the priest told them to exchange rings. They brought the rings on a decorated plate.

      The priest told Rohan to put the ring first on Sanjana’s ring finger. Suddenly, all the smartphones of the present people started beeping with messages. Hearing so many message tones, the present guests started looking for the message notifications. They heard some whispering.

     Mr Batra suddenly shouted, “What the hell is this Mr Chauhan? How could you people do this to us?”

  They surprised the Chauhan family to hear this anger filled tone.

“What happened, Mr batra? what’s the problem?.please tell us clearly ‘'Mr Chauhan answered in a calm tone. 

  “Problem...seriously, you people don’t know what the problem is?” Mr Batra again lashed out.

“Have a look at these photos.’

The photos shocked the Chauhan family.. It was a picture of Sanjana in the arms of a boy. In the second pic, they saw the two having an eye lock. In the third one, Sanjana was hugging him from behind.

  Nandini marched towards Sanjana and pulled her to stand. The shagun (gifts ) that was on Sanjana’s lap fell on the floor. It surprised Sanjana to see the change of attitude and expression on everyone’s face.

    Nandini asked, shaking her shoulders roughly, “ Don’t you have any shame? What wrong did we do to you that you are repaying us like this. “

Sanjana didn’t understand a word. Meanwhile, all the batra family and the relatives from both sides saw the pictures. 

Mrs Batra turned Sanjana around to face her and asked sternly.