#18 Problems and Solutions

Shiva

Shiva wakes up with a start to find himself in his bed. The tiny clock on the wooden table next to him points to 4am. He'd just gotten a few hours of sleep, and had a nightmare. He never had nightmares, except when he watched horror movies as a teenager. But now, he'd dreamt that he was married to Samridhi, it was the worst of all.

The worst of all because, marrying a girl for the sake of the mission is the most mediocre act a soldier can do.

Shiva takes deep breaths. The inn room is silent save for his breathing. Why did he dream though? So far he's made zero progress in this mission, and the marriage talks might have stressed him out. That must be, he concludes. Gulping a sip of water from a nearby tumbler, he returns to bed, to get a few more hours of sleep.

He can sleep now. As a trained soldier he could even sleep amidst a battlefield... so this one dream can't disrupt his sleep.

***

He was so wrong. That one dream disrupted his sleep.

Shiva groans as he heads to freshen up. Brushing his teeth, and bathing with a bucket of water aren't enough. He's a bit groggy, and he can only blame the stress.

Sighing, he gets dressed and heads out into the streets, straight to the chai ki dukaan.

In a town as small as this in northern India, one can't be privileged to sell coffee-- the locals love tea, so tea it is.

Shiva sits on the wooden bench, drinking his chai. There might be some coffee at Samridhi's place, but he doesn't feel like bothering them. He's dug a hole for himself with this whole marriage talk thing, also attending the family dinner with the Ganesans. Now it would be a disaster to get any deeper into that family.

Shortly after he's finished his chai, and pays the chai vendor, his phone rings. Colonel Marthur wants a report!

Shiva fumbles, but manages to keep his tone even.

"Sir... I'm trying to figure out the best way to find those documents, sir..." he says in a hushed voice, while glancing around and making sure no one's eavesdropping.