#42 The right way of doing things...

Shiva

The chirping of wild canaries remains melodious in the air, the rustling leaves humming a morning serenade. The atmosphere surrounding the little gazebo of the garden inside the Ganesan mansion is nothing short of serene.

Shiva finds himself seated at a table inside the very gazebo, facing Samridhi who sits from across him. They both have been here from the break of the dawn and it's nearly noon now. This little routine of theirs, deciphering the army documents is as tedious as usual and unfruitful.

Shiva finishes scanning a paper in his hand, wiping the invisible sweat from his brow. Not his fault. Dhandera is so cold. No one would sweat... unless they are practising Martial Arts like Dhruva!

"That's the last of all the papers there are," Samridhi says, putting the paper she's holding down on the table between them, rubbing her eyes and shaking her head.

"We did everything but we found nothing," Shiva says to which she replies with a solemn nod.

"I believe we can find something from our Chennai mansion, but of course, dad won't make it easy for us to unearth secrets."

Samridhi's words make sense

Samridhi's words make sense. Shiva inclines his head to the side, thinking. "That's true. One thing is evident from all this. Your dad worked on super secret projects."

Samridhi hums in response. "Yeah. Ganesan isn't even our actual surname. We had to change schools and relocate to different Chennai suburbs during our childhood and... Things took an ugly turn when Dad passed away and... Yeah, eventually things calmed down. But it's come to this again."

Shiva can sympathise with her when she sighs heavily. He wants to say a few consoling words, but knowing the girl would want none of that, he flashes her a strained smile.

He checks his watch. 11 am.

He thinks the discussion is over, but suddenly, Samridhi forwards her notebook towards him. Over the past few weeks, she used this notebook to make notes, tricks and hacks, and ways to simplify army jargon.

She's learnt quite some techniques to decode the information, too. It was the hardest task yet she never complained. Of course, she made sure that all of the pages are thoroughly disposed of as per his instructions. So the notebook only has only a few pages left now.

Scribbled on the freshly opened blank page are the words —

'I am writing this because I can't talk about this aloud, Shiva. Amma is thinking about cancelling our 'fake' marriage. So... you have to visit us for dinner tonight and talk to her. Please, Shiva, I would be indebted to you if you can do this for me!'

Now, what quagmire is this? Shiva gives Samridhi a questioning look which makes her scribble more sentences for him to read.

'It's only fake, right? Cook some excuse, Shiva! Say you will bring your parents or someone soon... Just convince Amma, please.'