#44 The chaos in my heart and yours

Dhruva

Samridhi sleeps as he tucks into her bed, looking like she's at complete peace, her earlier panicked state now seeming afar.

Just to confirm a few things, he holds a hand to her forehead and checks her pulse. Her skin is cool to the touch, her heart rate doesn't seem to be high, and her breathing seems normal.

She may only have a mild fever

She may only have a mild fever. Saves him trouble. Sighing heavily, Dhruva pulls a chair next to her bed. Deep relief floods his veins as he plonks down into his seat, watching Samridhi and replaying the events of the day.

He can't help but think she pushed herself to exhaustion for his sake. Why? They recently became friendly with each other. He isn't even important to her. So then, why?

That hug down in the dining room... She may be scared and confused and out of her wits, but why hug him? Why not her fiance, would-be husband whatever?

Why is she sending him mixed signals? Well, it might be entirely his fault that he is intercepting her actions as mixed signals and she may be innocent in all of this, but even so...

Just as he calms his racing mind with a vigorous shake of his head and a deep intake of a breath, he hears the door to the room making a creaking noise. Amma steps inside.

Stopping by Samridhi's bedside, the lady checks how her daughter is holding herself up, but Dhruva still reassures her with his words.

"She's fine, Amma. She's only sleeping."

Amma nods. "Thank the gods, Dhruva! You were right. She seems fine."

She sighs, brushing back some of Samridhi's bangs from her face

She sighs, brushing back some of Samridhi's bangs from her face. Dhruva hums in response. He checks his watch. 11.30 p.m. He thinks it's gotten quite late and looks at Amma.

"I'll keep watch, Amma. You get some sleep. Aren't you tired?"

"And you, Dhruva?" Amma questions, moving away from Ridhi's bed. "You must be exhausted after the tournament. I can look after Ridhi."