#66 - I Madurai Madness (Part 1)

All POVs

The weather wouldn't allow them to take a flight. Lack of availability of seats was another thing. And so a long leisurely car ride to Madurai began early in the morning. Convincing Amma that it was an educational trip, saying Dhruva would accompany her as usual? Samridhi thought that was a breeze, but this is awkward. Sharing the back seat with Dhruva.

Shiva took the wheel as soon as they rented this car in Nungambakkam. He and Akshara stuck to each other ever since, glued at the hip. Not that she has complaints. She thinks it's adorable but... just please let Dhruva not catch wind of the scandal.

They are soon on the highway, passing by more cars, vehicles, occasionally cows, buffaloes and ducks. Goats as well, herds of them, and children riding bicycles. Trees lining either side of the few roads they take, rustic village life. These sights are distracting enough. Soothing almost.

There are many pit stops on the way. As the late afternoon approaches, it's time for another pit stop, the final one. Shiva stops the car at what can be called a Tamil dhaba.

To onlookers, they might appear like a bunch of friends on a fun road trip, but that assumption is inaccurate. Emotions are high in the air for the three of them. He's the only steadfast soldier concentrating on his mission.

Samridhi helps herself to tea at the Dhaba. Then finds a secluded spot to savour the drink. Dhruva finds it odd again. He can't pinpoint what it is. She's giving him weird vibes. She won't spend a second next to her would-be fiance. Yes, they are on a mission, but even so!

How long would their paths of fate be entwined? This trip to Madurai might as well be the last leg of it

How long would their paths of fate be entwined? This trip to Madurai might as well be the last leg of it. If she... When she marries, it will be all over. They may not see each other this frequently. Hopefully, that will give him some time to fill the hole in his heart.

Little does he know, Samridhi has similar thoughts. Finally, it is time to put an end to Appa's Army business and liberate Dhruva. Why is her heart not ready for the second part?

She can cancel this fake marriage thing, then what? She can't force Dhruva to walk away, that much she understands. How long will they go on like this? There ought to be an end, though it is bitter.

Once this fake engagement farce is over, she can go to a remote medical institute and immerse herself in her studies. That will help her get over the unrequited love she holds for Dhruva. It will probably give him some solace too. She's only hurt him, though it wasn't her intention. He deserves to be happy.

Turning Shiva into her accomplice in these plans is unfair. But he's the only one she trusts. The (fake) engagement has to happen. Else she'd be deprived of liberty to travel, and Amma would begin searching for the groom again. She heaves a sigh and focuses on the sweetness of the chai, trying to banish these thoughts from her head.