#40 Can you be water, my friend?

Dhruva

He was already exhausted from his job, his training, and everything that had been happening in his life. The car had to break down too.

He wished stupid rain spells would stop, but they wouldn't. He and Ridhi were soaked to boot, and she even twisted her ankle! Carrying her felt like a chore. And when she made all the fuss about not being seen by Amma, he was both agitated and curious. Why? What would happen if Amma saw them? What made Ridhi so self-conscious?

There was no stopping him once he was stubborn. He carried her up the stairs and into her room. All the way, Amma said nothing. She only suggested they come down and have some ginger tea.

Inside Samridhi's room, he turned on the heater just to relieve some of the chill they both had been feeling. Samridhi wasn't pleased with what he did, but he only did what he did just to help her. He always had.

Ignoring her blabbering, he knelt on the floor. He only wanted to tend to her foot and leave, but when he looked at her, he noticed things he shouldn't have.

Her usually long, flowing hair was a soggy mess, but somehow alluring. She still got his jacket on her. His jacket... His...

And the way she was looking back at him unblinking was messing with his head. She'd been doing these little sweet things that were messing with his head.

Sometimes he felt she was sending him mixed signals through her words and actions, but she could be only truly wanting to care for him. He might lose control and snap one of these days if this went on. Hell, he could snap right at any moment.

Just looking at her rain-kissed face, those pale cheeks dusted in pink and those soft lips... He wanted to shoot to his feet, grab her and kiss her —

Whoa! Need to apply breaks here. Else he would go tumbling down the abyss and there would be no climbing back.

"You shouldn't miss training..." He blurted out the first thing that came to his mind to snap himself and her out of whatever stupor they were in and shut the door to her room behind him.

Alone and finally having the chance to breathe, Dhruva sighs, thinking back to the events that happened a while ago.

Did he truly feel like kissing her? It wasn't his fault. She was... Even the way she blinked was cute. Why must he feel like this? Why must he fall for this girl of all people, and why must their lives be so complicated?!

Dhruva heaves a sigh again. As his thoughts threaten to consume him, he tries to look for an anchor, but finds none.

Only the numbing chill throughout his body and Amma's fresh, shrill scolding gets his legs to move, and his lips to talk

Only the numbing chill throughout his body and Amma's fresh, shrill scolding gets his legs to move, and his lips to talk. "What are you doing standing there? Hurry and warm up!"