#49 Beautiful Disaster

Dhruva

The stillness around him mingled with some very soft breathing noises in the background breaks his concentration. Dhruva lifts his eyes from the document he's reading. Glancing at the clock, he finds it's past midnight again. It's no wonder Samridhi has already dozed off.

He puts away the document in his hands before clearing all the papers and journals from the tables, packing them into the boxes they belong to. Climbing up the shelves, he returns them to their hiding space.

These documents and secret army information (if any) are safe up there. Dhruva thinks, dusting his hands despite there being no dust on his palms. If he were to state facts right here — he'd say there's no speck of dust in the study or inside the Ganesan mansion. Ramu Mama and others take such good care of the place. He brought in a new ladder too, but climbing is such a nice workout.

The large, antique pendulum clock ticks softly in the background and Samridhi is still asleep, curled up on the couch. In her hands is a poetry book. Appa's, maybe. She must have been bored looking at army papers and picked up a random book from the lower shelves.

Very gently, Dhruva pulls the book from her grip, hands flipping pages, eyes scanning the various kavithai inside. Words like kadhal and anbe scattered across the pages give him a pause, and a wry smile touches his lips realising the book is full of love poems.

Is this Appa's or

Is this Appa's or... He doesn't finish that thought, shaking his head and placing the book on the coffee table.

Is Samridhi interested in reading such things? She commented something about love poems being 'funny' but he's not sure if there's some fun in there.

She's deeply asleep. Her soft breathing still reaches his ears. Though his hands reach for her shoulders to jerk her awake, they pause as his eyes take in the innocent beauty that's before him.

Long tresses of her hair nearly obscure half of her face. She's still wearing a salwar suit, and a wristwatch, which is digging into a part of her cheek. Her pink lips are oh so slightly parted. She needs to sleep in a soft bed, under a warm duvet.

Dhruva takes a step back, looking away from her, sighing.

The days have gone by quickly ever since they returned to Chennai and he hasn't had the time to ruminate on many things.

The Quasquicentennial has provided a good enough pretext for him to stick together with Samridhi again. He would not have predicted such things happening but it's like the universal forces are squishing them together, like that one incident in the train. While everything that's fine happening is crazy good, it's also testing his patience and sanity.

Returning to college, meeting old friends and working with the student councils again has been fun. That's until Ridhi's old college mate tries to hit on her. The guy doesn't yield to their personal talk and gifts her flowers and writes a love letter?