#55 The pleasures (pains) of being a soldier

Shiva

Returning to the CIJWS feels more like returning home than punishment.

Though he had spent a few weeks training here, the school had taught him everything he knew and much more.

The school is home to world-class instructors in guerrilla warfare and tactics but a twist of fate has landed him a temp job as an instructor here.

Who knows what strings Colonel Mathur has pulled?

This isn't an official task. There are no papers involved. Instances like this are rare. Maybe the Colonel wants to teach him something through this experience.

Why, though? Until yesterday, the man had been a mentor but suddenly he was cross

Unhappy with the progress and results incurred on the Mission Ganesans. Now talking back is a sin, isn't it?

"Could you repeat yourself once more, Shiva? Explain again why you couldn't produce results in the mission assigned to you. Why would you visit your home while on the mission, and why would you dare to talk back?!"

Colonel Saab growled. Shiva didn't even flinch though he was feeling a bit disturbed inside.

"They taught me a soldier needs to uphold his values and voice his opinion, sir. Even if that's before a superior officer. You were the one who asked me to work solo on this mission and treat it delicately. Like I said if we put forward our intelligence corps instead then-"

"Are you blaming me for your failures, Shiva? Don't forget you were chosen for this job by General Hattar himself. Do you think we both weren't aware of military intelligence? All those awards and medals have got to your head, hm? How about you strip those ribbands off from you? I will put in a word if required, initiate the process-"

"No... And no, sir."

That was only a part of the conversation that landed him in his current position in Mizoram. Well, at least this is just punishment and he wasn't taken off that mission. Though his archrival Frederick Pinto was quite eager...

Shiva passes by a senior officer overlooking a batch of soldiers training in the CIJWS's unending training yard, and salutes him.

He pauses, noticing the name and rank of the tall, well-built officer with slightly greying hair, most of which is obscured by the deep olive turban he wears. This is Colonel Arvind Khatri, the commandant of the school.

"Shiva Srinivas, reporting sir!"

Shiva salutes the man again, lips pressed together, a serious expression in his eyes.

He barely slept a wink through the flight and the bus journey following that. This morning he's only had the time to drop his backpack in his cabin, take a cold shower and put on his camouflage overalls. He ran so he could arrive on time, donning his hat midway, he hopes his appearance doesn't look sloppy.