#37 Is there hope?

Akshara

She jolts awake as something soft caresses her cheek. She normally wouldn't have fallen asleep when she was stressed but the exhaustion from everything must have been too much.

She rubs her eyes and checks her watch. She only dozed off for half an hour. Now, for what touched her cheek...

She looks to her left and is surprised to find Shiva. He's smiling, grinning from ear to ear, holding a brown-furred bunny in his arms.

The same ticklish, soft sensation greets Akshara's cheek again as he brings the little furry animal's face close enough to brush against her skin.

She laughs, half in disbelief, and half out of relief. Soldier looks chirpy and fine. The little guy even is munching away on a carrot Shiva has got for him from somewhere.

"Surprise! Soldier is back! And there's no imminent danger to his life!"

Shiva's outburst causes Akshara to look up. She's been smiling until now but looking at her best friend makes her frown. She's happy for the bunny, of course, but she's not happy about going through all that stress.

 She's happy for the bunny, of course, but she's not happy about going through all that stress

"Surprise? Yeah, this was some surprise. Honestly, I was so worried! You could have at least called me. I know it looked like I was so relaxed that I fell asleep, Shiva, but I was not!"

Shiva looks guilty after hearing her words. Akshara sighs. She doesn't want to hurt her best friend but his actions are frustrating these days. He's being secretive for the sake of his mission, and now he has to hide things for this silly surprise!

"Sorry, Akshu..." Shiva shakes his head and apologizes as Akshara looks on. "I only wanted to surprise you. Actually, Samridhi informed me everything on the phone. Said Soldier was fine. She thought of returning the bunny to you because you appeared to be taken by it. I... only wanted to surprise you..."

Akshara sighs. When Shiva shows his rare, sulky face, she always melts. She may be a fool, but this time too, her annoyance melts away.

"It's okay, Shiva... I'm not angry with you. I just... I'm glad Soldier is okay."