#62 Sweet love, is this our bitter end?

Samridhi

On a rousing Monday morning, the entire MQSC is a noisy bunch, invading the library and replacing the quiet with rambunctious laughter. The group, huddled in the back, assembled around a large table are all doctors, some of them working for prestigious institutions, each clutching a book in their hands.

A doctor is always a student, but nobody is here to read, presently. Though Samridhi laughs along, occasionally reminding the gang to slow down, they ignore her. Sakshi smugly quips about how much her remarks were Dhruva-like. Samridhi doesn't know what to do with herself after hearing that. Dhruva is on her mind twenty-four-seven these days. And now that Sakshi has brought him up...

She exhales softly, leaning back in her chair, letting her thoughts drift off.

The time she spends with Dhruva feels natural. From greeting each other over morning tea (coffee for her) to feeding Mrs Sheila and the kittens their breakfast, and riding the bike to the college together... everything has become a routine.

Every moment is priceless, never to return, but they'll be gone when the Quasquicentennial ends. Just the present remains to savour.

Yesterday was another blessed day. Mrs Sheila, the cat, turned the gazebo in the Ganesan garden into her home. The chill outside was concerning. It is why, she, Samridhi Ganesan, came up with the idea of building a wooden house, and Dhruva offered help. They spent the afternoon working in bliss. Dhruva was adept at piecing furniture together. Is there anything he's not good at?

Mrs Sheila is an outdoor cat. Chaining her indoors is horrible. Samridhi now looks back at her decision with pride. As much as she wants to coddle Mrs Sheila and the kitties, she doesn't want to cause them inconvenience.

Pets are precious. They provide so much comfort, spread warmth and love to everyone. Even looking at their photographs on a break is therapy. A smile touches Samridhi's lips as she browses the photo gallery on her phone. She closes the app and tucks the device into her kurta pocket.

All around her the MQSC guys and girls are hyperventilating, their exci table voices reaching a fever pitch. Everyone is making the most of the present, not wanting to think these fun moments will end soon.

Samridhi narrows her eyes on a giggling bunch of girls and focuses on her book. She's here to read, unlike these folks! Such a shame. She wanted to break away from the group earlier but they wouldn't let her do that! Peer pressure is a real thing.

She pulls out her phone, takes a snap of the book title. That should help with the later reference. Oh, no, the noise has doubled! No, tripled? Someone else is screaming. A shrill voice. Sakshi elbows her.

"That's the librarian. We're on the verge of being kicked out."

Her warning is spot on. Samridhi nods at her friend. The two girls noiselessly slip away and find a quiet table in the corner. Moments later after they find their seats, the MQSC is kicked out, but after subjected to a thorough tongue lashing from librarian Mrs Ujwala.