#58 These moments are enough. Aren't they?

Akshara

The Ahmedabad Cantonment area in its entire glory is sealed off to the public. If she got in and is looking at an army office there, it's thanks to the permission slip Shiva emailed her.

Last Sunday morning, around the early hour before sunrise, she was in a hazy and dream-like state when she received Shiva's phone call

Last Sunday morning, around the early hour before sunrise, she was in a hazy and dream-like state when she received Shiva's phone call. His voice sounded sweet, affectionate, as he said they could meet soon.

She couldn't believe any of that was real. The email he sent following that phone call stated official army business as the reason, of course, and she agreed to it.

The army now has copies of all her citizen and personal identities. This part feels like a breach of privacy, but she's willing to go through it for Shiva.

The Ahmedabad Cantonment encompasses many army offices, headquarters and more, spread out on a vast strip of land. She's still determining which building Shiva is likely to emerge out of. They couldn't come in contact after that email. Everything is blank.

Along with the pleasant shipping of the birds, Akshara can hear a few slogans faintly echoing in the air. They come from protestors bordering the north of the sealed-off area.

She passed by them on her way here. They were a considerable group shouting slogans, demanding the removal of barricades, and public access to the cantonment roads.

It was a ruckus. When she inquired, they told her this had been going on for a while.

She had mixed feelings about the thing. She wouldn't completely demand the same. There is no need for concern if the army protects people and not snubs them. Sure, she came across pompous officers who brush off the miseries of the common man. But... that's a different scenario.

A bunch of soldiers in uniforms walking out of a building snap her out of her thoughts. Now that she recalls, she has encountered nimbly uniformed soldiers on her way here. Shiva may show up in a uniform too.

A grin touches her lips. Shiva can locate her with ease. She stands out like a sore thumb, dressed in civilian clothes - a pale purple salwar suit, and the roads here are deserted.

The winter skies are clear. There's a certain amount of quiet in this place, some bizarre peace. The flowering trees are picturesque, their shadows large enough to shroud the street into semidarkness, their petals scattered in the breeze.

She's used to working in harsh weather, but the shade still feels nice.

More time passes. Perhaps an eternity has passed, and she's still here, standing. More men and women in uniforms file out of various offices. It's nearly lunchtime, their mess hour, probably.

A few officers throw her questioning glances, but mind their own business.

Shiva can come to her anytime now. Her eagerness brought her here early, but their meeting time is now. Why did he choose this spot? Did this so she could glimpse his army life? Thoughtful of him to do so.