#57 The soldier in you and me

Shiva

Five days passed in a blink. The sloppy squad stood watching as he tackled every task of theirs in their stead.

That was the only thing he could do as an instructor. They were rigid. Even reluctant to leave their tents. Dragging them to the training grounds felt like an uphill task.

It was disheartening but he conducted himself as he would, hoping he could ignite some kind of fire in them but that didn't happen.

Their eyes would follow him wherever he went. Often they'd lit up when he'd accomplish a task, but the spark would last only for a few seconds. By the end of day three's activities, though, he earned a little of their respect.

Perhaps it helped that he slept alongside them in the tent — out in the cold rather than in his cabin.

He dined with them in the trainee's mess hall instead of the officer's.

Tonight is the fifth night of their camping outside. His trainees are still willing to be kicked out but they all have come to a sort of understanding. That's at least how he views the present situation.

 That's at least how he views the present situation

It was raining the other two days. Chaos erupted when strong winds dislodged a few trainee tents. He and the six of the sloppy squadron members had to sleep in one tent that night.

Going back to the comparably cosy student quarters isn't an option for anyone. That's not possible without permission.

Surviving the cold is a part of their training, something the commandos have to do. He could have abandoned them and absconded to his cabin but he didn't want to.

Tonight is the fifth night. Two more days left to accomplish this task and wrap up his punishment. He's losing hope. Can he even accomplish this task?

Doubts swirl in Shiva's mind as he nurses a campfire. He has a smartwatch with him and a phone that came to him along with the duties of his instructor.

Their screens show it's twelve, midnight.

Probably time to sleep. He can tackle the issue tomorrow. Soldiers may always be fighting but they need to sleep when they can.

Just a little longer, his mind says, you're not sleepy yet. Shiva plops on a log near the campfire he made.

The sound of crickets and the howling winds fills his ears. The chill is nearly bone-crunching but the roaring fire is providing him with enough warmth. He sits there, watching the flames for a while longer.

The Sloppy Squadron are all huddled in a single tent. The school authorities gave them just one when their individual tents flew off.

His tent is different which gives him privacy but he won't mind sharing it with them again, though they are much younger than him.