#54 A soldier's day off

Shiva

He's put on his uniform after so long but fits him like it always belonged with him.

It will always belong with him. Walking past the various offices in the Divisional Army HQ at Ahmedabad, Shiva stands before Colonel Mathur's office, facing the locked door.

Falcon, halt all mission-related operations. Take no step until further orders. Meet me at the Barracks. The colonel's orders were explicit, and he even referred to him by his call sign.

To call him all the way here, citing emergency reasons and disappear, Colonel Saab is cruel. Shiva's shoulders sag a bit, but he straightens and turns on his heel.

The sunlight filtering through the open balconies is blindingly bright, causing him to put on his shades again. Familiar faces and some newly commissioned officers pop up everywhere he goes.

As he moves past the last crowded corridor on the ground floor, whispers of a certain bereaving Vinita — Vinnie Thomas, reach his ears

Soldiers can be a rowdy bunch sometimes, but their discipline urges them to speak softly while they loiter in the corridors.

So Vinnie's husband, Captain Remi Davis is dead? And she has only been married for three months?

Shiva does some mental calculations, thinking about his friend from his Academy days. Vinnie Thomas had been a lively girl. With that radiant smile and flawless complexion, she could be a model or a fashionista, yet she chose to serve the country in a more significant way.

He had only heard of Vinnie briefly when he'd been working with the CRPF on the joint operation in the marshes. She was about to get married then, or so he heard. That was five months ago, but it's like ages have passed.

So much has changed, but knowing Vinnie, she'd be still around the HQ as she is with the Ordnance Corps. Around this hour, she would be in the officer's mess, having lunch. Shiva picks up his pace and heads to his destination — the army's mess hall.

***

The mess hall or the officer's mess is as spacious as the rest of the places in the HQ, and like everywhere, discipline applies here, too.

Vinnie is seated at a table in the back, dressed in regimentals like himself and most others. Shiva approaches her, ignoring the way his heart throbs in agony, imagining her plight.

"Vinnie."

"Shiva!" Her face brightens hearing his voice. "What a coincidence meeting you here!"

 "What a coincidence meeting you here!"