#28 Let's Promise each other...

The bond between a brother and sister is the most pious one. What was he thinking, labelling the girl he has feelings for as sister and soiling the term? Maybe he did it to convince himself, to draw the line between them again — one that can never be erased.

He's always, always thought he's one a fortunate one to have found Appa, but the truth is far from it.

"I'm an idiot! A fool... an unfortunate man..."

No one's around to hear him lamenting at this late hour, nothing but the darkness. As the icy winds flip and toy with the edges of his leather jacket, Dhruva stubbornly walks home, pushing through the pain in his heart like he always did.

***

Shiva

He thought the long and short of it and decided that he'd come clean with certain things. He'd reveal the truth, his true purpose behind everything to Samridhi. Facing good 'ol Amma would be awkward. Besides, would be a better candidate than an educated doctor?

Armed with the information about the girl's whereabouts, Shiva rushes to the only martial arts gym in town— Dariwala's.

He's about to go inside when Dhruva and Samridhi step out together, hand in hand. They look good together. And they look happy, like they belong together.

Again, Shiva wonders what exactly is their relationship. Soon the said duo notices his presence, but they barely exchange a few words. Dhruva looks cheerful and so does Ridhi, but anyone can tell they are faking it.

The guy makes an excuse and makes a quick exit while the girl stands still, throwing the guy looks of longing

The guy makes an excuse and makes a quick exit while the girl stands still, throwing the guy looks of longing. As much as he wants to get to the bottom of this, Shiva knows it isn't his business. Grateful that Samridhi agreed to talk to him, he escorts her to his car.

Then they drive uptown towards a hilltop where they can talk privately. Normally lovers' bridge would be the apt spot. The cliche name aside, the spot is a less-suspicious one, away from all prying eyes. But the park should be closed now. Thus... the alternative.

Seated in the passenger seat, Samridhi remains calm, despite looking like something is bothering her inside. She doesn't complain as they drive through some rough, dark and desolate uphill roads.

Shiva puffs out a breath when they reach their destination, a flattened platform atop of a hill overlooking the town, sort of an under-developed viewpoint amongst the hills surrounding Dhandera.

He kills the engine and looks at his companion. The ride until here has been a silent one, but now it's time for them to talk. He climbs out of the car, moving around to open the door for Samridhi, but the girl is quicker, she helps herself out of the car and shuts the door. Yeah, no formalities here. This is all but a fake arrangement.

From where they stand, the town of Dhandera is a spread of twinkling lights below. The wind whipping their faces is chilly and it looks like it will rain.