#31 These new paths

Akshara

A week passed after her birthday. Shiva had lamented how simple it was, how much grander he'd like the celebration to be and how much he'd wanted to do something very, very special.

She reassured him that being reunited with him was a grand thing on its own and that she didn't need anything special when every moment she spent with him had been so blissful.

Shiva blinked at her while she stood tongue-tied, worrying if her words gave away her feelings, but he only shook his head and smiled, a wide, brilliant smile.

"I'd still throw you a party next year, Sweety," he said. "We'll celebrate it the right way... You, me and all of our buddies in Kottayam."

She smiled back at him, dreamy-eyed at the prospect that they'd be together, that they could be together whenever possible from now on, and because Shiva seemed equally determined to make it happen.

"You might not accept it, Shiva, but it was still the best birthday for me..." Akshara smiles lounging in her bed.

She had a lazy morning

She had a lazy morning. And it's already afternoon.

Shiva is right next to her now, on the other side of the bamboo mat. He's always next to her these days, ready to keep her away from danger, but it's been so long.

As much as blissful this is, it's a waste of time for professionals like them, especially for Shiva who's a soldier!

Speak of the devil! Shiva emerges from the other side, bringing some wrapped parathas for lunch. The day passes in a blur for Akshara as she tries to come up with ideas to combat the situation.

The next day, she wakes up at sunrise. Normally she'd twist and turn and sometimes fall back asleep and Shiva would let her until late morning but today the guilt in her heart had jostled her awake.

She rises from her bed, brushing her hair and smoothing her pajamas. Assuming Shiva is on the other side of the bamboo curtain she pushes it aside, only to find his side of the room empty.

They need to discuss their situation! Where's he gone off to?

Ah, well, shiva works a little in the morning, doesn't he? He sticks with her all day long, but each morning, he briefly meets with his contacts, working on his mission.

He says lending her a helping hand isn't affecting his mission, but how much of that is the truth?

Akshara sighs, pushing back her thoughts. Squaring her shoulders she walks to the front door of the lodgings. That's where Shiva usually has a quick chat with his contacts.

On this particular day, his contact is a young woman. Akshara freezes upon seeing him talking to the girl. That's the same woman from the temple. Yup! That's the lady from the young couple. Is Shiva familiar with her?