#47 When fate throws us together

Samridhi

The Ganesan mansion in Park Town, Chennai, is a charming, three-storied villa, sparkling white and spread across at least an acre of space. Under the careful and watchful eyes of the head butler Devan, the caretaker Ramaswamy, and a dozen others who work around the place, the structure is intact, more dazzling than before. Samridhi thinks it must be because she's spent a good while away from it.

Travelling across states and relocating to this old home of theirs hasn't felt like a chore as much as unpacking and settling into it has.

Outside, the bright golden rays of the sun have turned orange, and the balmy winds have attained some chill. Samridhi sinks back into the cushioning provided by the bean bag that's resting in a corner of her room, reviewing her handy work. From the moment they returned home this morning, she's been unpacking and arranging her things inside this empty space that was once her room, so it looks like her room again. And she's done!

Ramu Mama and others, even Dhruva wanted to lend her a hand but she refused

Ramu Mama and others, even Dhruva wanted to lend her a hand but she refused. She didn't want others touching her things, and the result — she can barely feel the life in her limbs.

"But this is still worth it because it preserves my privacy," she mumbles, smiling a little, now turning her gaze to the open window, staring at the light leaking into the room through it. "The Himalayan town was charming, but it's good to be back home."

She doesn't have much time to relax though. The evening turns eventful as Amma ropes her, Dhruva, and even Kanmani Mami (the only female working around the place, Ramu Mama's wife), on a shopping trip to the Chettinad Saree Emporium to buy some very fine quality silk sarees! The trip isn't exhausting, it only gives her the vibe she's truly back home.

Amma is no different. For someone who said she missed the serene atmosphere of the hills and the mountains, she sure is fitting back into her role of a lady who's lived nearly all of her life in the city port city of Chennai.

Samridhi smiles, feeling satisfied as the tranquil evening breeze plays with the hems of her dupatta, bringing the kulfi stick she's just brought to her mouth. A sweet treat after a shopping jig feels heavenly. She's brought it for everyone, but of course, Dhruva isn't the one to eat such things! He stands there at some distance, trailing behind the ladies slowly when they resume their walk on the Marina beach road. Samridhi glances back at him once, and then twice. He meets her eye every single time, ever the observant guy, and eventually throws her a questioning glance. She shrugs but purposefully slows down so they can walk together.