#70 Tears, Love, and Laughter

Samridhi, Dhruva

Samridhi drags herself down a corridor of the new hospital she works for. A charity hospital in the suburbs of Madurai. A week passed since she joined here as a temp. Her posting hasn't been confirmed yet.

Like every day, a crumpled note sits in the folds of her kurta pocket, available to read when wants. How many times did she read Dhruva's note? Reading only makes her miserable but she carries it around, reading it over and over.

Why did he leave? If he loved her then

Why did he leave? If he loved her then... If he was holding back on account of the situation they were in... What would she have done if he stayed? Would he have remembered that kiss? Would she have tried to make a difference? What would she say to Amma... A nurse passes by. Samridhi quickly hides the tears. The one-second deviation is gone; her mind returns to her problems again. What would Sakshi say? She would say this changes everything. She would suggest eloping but that's not a feasible option.

Samridhi recalls what all happened after Dhruva was gone. The weeks that passed after that turned house Ganesan to house gloom. Everyone was upset. Everyone treated her as a criminal. She has done something that caused Dhruva to walk away.

Amma stopped talking to her. The circumstances and her own guilt were unbearable. That night, she found Amma in Appa's study, looking at old photographs, letters just basking in the comfort of Appa's writing in journals.

"Amma, I am sorry."

Amma didn't acknowledge her apology. She tried again. "Sorry, Amma. I promise I will find Dhruva and bring him back." (And then we both will continue our miserable lives as a family.)

"Your Appa didn't adopt Dhruva," Amma said. "After his demise, I couldn't proceed with the adoption. Not with what we were facing. So I did one thing I could. Told everyone Dhruva is my son. Said he was younger than you, so I could dote on him. I celebrated his birthday on Pongal. All these years, I thought legal documents weren't necessary as long as we had the bond. I didn't want him to feel like an outsider."

A pause

A pause. Amma went on, her eyes looking vacant. "But maybe he did. Or you made him. He decided to go. Abandoned by his parents, thrown out of the orphanage, he fought his way through it all. He's still out there, fighting. Why does life have to be unfair to him? My heart breaks for him. I know my Dhruva. He is so gentle. Not someone heartless who can leave his Amma. I can't imagine the pain he must be in. He was your Appa's parting gift to the family, or so I'd thought. All these years, he has been my pillar of support but now he is gone. Where do I go from here?"