Chapter 43

I moved forward regardless.  Unable to help myself as I reached out for his lose bow tie.  I fumbled with the straps. My eyes trained unblinkingly on them even though I felt Lucian's eyes riveted on me.

"You're looking very beautiful today," said Lucian huskily in my ear. My hands trembled in response making me fumble even more.  I was sure I was making an absolute mess of his bow tie but I couldn't seem to stop.

"Th..thank you, " I muttered under my breath. We stood there for a moment together in silence before Lucian spoke again.

"You really don't know what you are doing do you? " He asked me with some amusement.  Shaking my head, I flushed red and moved to drop my hands away from further wrangling his bow tie to an early death.

" Don't, " he whispered suddenly stopping me in my tracks as I made to step back.

" I didn't want to say this but... but now that you are here, I wanted you to know.  I have always felt something for you.  Something more than you can ever imagine ...but you're with my brother.  I can respect that although. .. although I can't imagine how that was even possible.  How I could have been with you this long and not... not revealed what I have always felt for you...," he said leaning towards me then abruptly he stopped and took a step back.

"I am not making any sense am I.  It must be nerves. " He said uncertainly sounding nothing like the Lucian I knew.

The Lucian I knew.

That was just it. I felt as if I knew him too. Knew all about him and yet I couldn't recall the hows or the whys. I felt also that I understood.  Understood what he was saying and yet I didn't know.

I wavered where I stood staring up at him uncertainly feeling as if I had so much that I needed to say to him and yet I couldn't think of a word to say.  I didn't know what I needed to say.

We continued to stare at each other in silence. A strange tension engulfed us. My breath rose into pants and Lucian's followed suit.

"Kira? What are you doing here?  I have been looking all over for you," said Damon stepping into the room and coming to a stop beside me.  I looked up at him and yet was unseeing. I muttered vaguely, " Lucian's bow tie.  I can't... I cannot tie it."

I couldn't help the frantic note that crept into my tone and I fell awkwardly silent.

" I'll help Lucian out. You might want to get down stairs to the pews the guests are already there and I imagine we will be beginning soon," said Damon smiling soothingly.  I smiled back greatfully at him and nodded," You're right. "

I turned to walk towards the door my feet feeling unusually ladened.  I stopped for an infinitesimal time at the door before pasting a bright smile on my face I continued on out.