Chapter 48

I floated into his arms feeling as light as a feather. Like unbreakable manacles his hands closed about my selender waist. We didn't dance. We only swayed with Lucian meshing up closer against me with every breath. I found I couldn't breath but I didn't care.

I stared up into his darkening gaze as he stared down into mine. We swayed to the muted beat of the music our ears hearing only the thumping beat of the others heart.

I swallowed past the lump in my throat.  I knew I had to say something.  But I couldn't for the life of me think of anything.

"You have always been my best friend, " said Lucian huskily holding me in a way that was anything but bestfriend like. It was more bedfriends like not that I was complaining. " I don't ever want to lose you. "

I frowned at him then. "You did leave me. You moved to a different school and forgot all about me. If we hadn't met again at....I can't remember... I have only bits and pieces of my memories relating to you. The last I remember was you taking me to Damon's wedding.  Why were you taking me? I thought we hadn't been on speaking terms then? And when did I become involved with your brother?  He was a married man until very recently.  I never would have thought I would go for a married man? "

I found myself blurting out all the questions I had been hoarding this past confusing six months.  There was just something not very right about it all.

"You feel that too don't you?" Demanded Lucian looking down at me equally confused. " I have been wanting to ask you that exact question but you were always in poor shape. You needed blood but why did you take Damon's? I would have given you mine. You know that. You know I would do anything for you! "

I stared up at him in turmoil.  I did know that. I don't know how I did only that I did.

"May I cut in? Your bride is looking a little lonely out there on the dance floor, " said Damon pointedly. Lucian glanced down at me almost fiercely before reluctantly easing his hold on me. I watched him step back feeling bereft.

I couldn't help the longing that surged in me. I knew it was wrong he was a married man now but I couldn't help wishing differently.

I watched him move towards his new bride and was not even aware of Damon having already taken me in his arms but then I felt the thudding of his own heart and leaned my head onto his chest accepting any comfort he could offer without question.