Chapter 4

"Kira?"

He sounded confused. I wavered before him feeling momentarily disorientated.

" Are you alright? "

He asked again and I couldn't answer.  I wasn't sure.  I wavered again, gasping for air and then I realised my broken rib had punctured a lung.

I stared up at Lucian incredulously.  A simple hug and this was what happened. It made sense why he was keeping his distance.  My vision wavered and I saw black spots. I was blacking out from the lack of air.

"Kira!"

He was by my side in a blink of an eye.  I turned feeling more than a little daze to stare at him. The rain beat down heavy upon us. I couldn't keep my eyes open long enough to see.

"Stay with me," Lucian demanded.

But I couldn't.  I felt myself start to fade away and that was when he did it. Gave me my first taste of vampire blood and made me his scion. His living breathing blood bag.

Till today he had never explained why. Why had he been there at that time on that road? Why had he been so glad to  see me that I ended up with broken ribs? And most importantly of all how did he get exposed to the parasite that turned him into a blood drinking vampire?

He had told me only this much. He had been there looking for help. He had said he'd gotten contaminated with the parasite. Then wandered about in the blinding rain losing his way in the dark to appear at my door step.

I had believed him back then but no longer.  Not now that the truth was slowly revealing itself.

For one thing his vision was too sharp to allow for mere rain to obscure his vision.  For another, his sense of direction was as acute. There was no way he could have gotten so lost as to land in my driveway without knowing it. But the most incriminating evidence only just appeared as the truth. 

He was in his prime. 

He only just proved it. With his acute senses picking up my distress from all that distance away. The worst of it all was that I had allowed my love for him to turn a blind eye on the obvious.  I knew I had tried to justify the discrepancies to his story.  To explain it all away. I didn't like knowing that all I was to him was a mere blood bag. That despite our years together he had no trust in me to reveal the truth. But there was no denying it anymore.

It had always been obvious in the gathering of his kind that drew to him for leadership. And have been for a long time now. Lucian had been in his prime for more than a year.  Or even two.  As far as I knew he had achieved his prime that very night when I encountered him in my driveway.

Our blood sharing all this while sensitised him to my emotions.  And it was a two way highway. I  knew now that he has been hiding so much from me for a long time now.

I needed to decide if I wanted to keep my blinkers on or demand the truth from him.