Chapter 47

The reception was back at the Pall's mansion.  From the outside the building was lit up with glittering lights. Even though the sun was still up in the skies. But it was a clear indication that the party would go on well into the night.

I got out of the car and stood for a moment staring aimlessly up at spectacular domes and turrets of the otherwise modern home. It was a complex craftsmanship.  One resembling its occupants in much the same way. Both were built like ancients with domes, turrets and all but they were creatures of modern times too. Damien Pall, Damon's father was a clear example.  He dabbled in the commodities,  derivatives and the forex markets and sat on the board of many tech companies funded by his venture capital companies. Damon was busy following his father's foot steps. At thirty two he was already chair on boards of two companies while he ran another as its CEO.

Living with Damon gave me great insight to the man he was. His wife was a fool for letting him go but she would be here at the reception too. I missed seeing her earlier but I wanted to meet her again.  I recalled Damon's wedding reception.  She had been every bit as beautiful as Vanessa.  But Kathryn was coloured in the vivid shades of the opposite spectrum.  Dark auburn curles and vivid green eyes. It was something of a pity that Brian inherited his dad's amazing good looks instead.  Kathryn deserved to have a replica of her beauty too.

I shook away my thoughts from the dangerous direction it was taking.  I was not a match maker.  I surely do not want to be heading in that direction.

Cool hands pressed into the small if my waist sending a cool chill to shiver down my bones.

"Shall we?" Damon smiled gently down at me.  I smiled back at him.  He'd dropped me off and gone off to park but I hadn't wanted to go in without him.

I nodded my head in answer and moved to place my hand in the crook of his arm. He tugged me forward into the brightly lit foyer. All the large chandeliers were lit up to the max. The crystals amplified the light and bounced a spectrum of colours onto the bejewelled guests below creating sparks of colours enough to make a rainbow jealous.

I blinked and then blinked again trying to clear off the shiny effects from my vision. But Damon seemed not to be as affected. For he tugged me on mercilessly into the very epic centre of the sparkles.

" Kira, I want you to meet a good friend of mine, Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta. You probably know her best as Lady Gaga, " said Damon grinning down at me unrepentantly.  I gaped at her... at him... then back at her.

"Oh my god!"

"I am such a fan!" I exclaimed excitedly lying through my teeth like never before. Never mind that my taste in music ran along the lines of the normal rather than the extraordinary.  This was Lady Gaga and I was shaking her hands.

But I really should stop now. Damon seemed to think so too for he tugged my hands rudely off hers.

I beamed a beatific smile at her feelings unusually wrought. She was just a celebrity.  Still a human.  No big deal.

But that still proved difficult to overcome.

"Can I steal you away for a dance?" The familiar deep tones in my ear stole my breath away. I turned to look Lucian in the eye. 

"Y..yes. Sure," I said smiling tremulously up at him. Lady Gaga... Damon ...and indeed Lucian's own very recent wedding forgotten in my mind as I unfailingly followed him out onto the dance floor.